Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you commute or just take a day trip from time to time, do you prefer tank or tail bags? Have you found pros and cons of both? What are the pros and cons?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I prefer using a tank bag. I find a tailpack to be awkward to fit and even find it difficult for me to get on & off the bike with it on. I'm also oldschool- no GPS, I use maps so the map pocket on the tankbag is a must for me. It's also so easy to get to my camera, autocard for petrol/gas & tollgates, gate remote etc., 'cos it's all right there in front of me. Check out poddy's tankbag thread on this same page.

Picture of my tankbag in my member album. It's not big, but it's enough for most things I need on a local day trip. If I'm on a longer trip I use the hard panniers anyway.

DaveB.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I prefer a tailpack for commuting and day trips, as it feels cleaner not to have anything in front of me.

On long trips I have a GPS but if I have a lot of stuff then I will use the tankbag rather than putting it on the back. A Ventura system for the rear came with my Bonnie. It is good but I hardly ever use it as I rarely have so much stuff that it won't go in either a small tailpack or the bigger tankbag.

·
Registered
794 Posts
For my daily commute my side bags do the work (laptop fits exactly in it).

I don't like anything in front of me like Spiki, but when going on holidays I use the tank bag (Triumph); for piccie machine, some snacks and water (dehydration), maps, flexible friend (credit card) for paying toll on the highway and the so esential gas...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Tank Bag - every time, if more stuff needed then panniers.

My legs are vertically challenged and I hate trying to get my legover a tail pack, or doing that stupid silly walk, extend your leg straight over the seat, hurdle, goosestep thingy :)

and it's really hard to see a map on the tail pack!
One of my group came up with a backpack map pocket idea - it fixes on the back of the rider in front of you and can put a large scale map in it and you can see the route :D

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I have my GPS for navigating..so no need for maps...and everything I need I put in my huge zip pockets in my jacket. No need for anything else. Panniers for long trips that I have not taken yet;)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
whoosh, if you ever have a problem with navigation it seems as though wombat has come up with the ideal solution. He calls it 'analogGPS' and you can see a pic of it in his member album. Most impressive, it has to be said.

DaveB.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Small tail bag on pillion seat contains two puncture repair kits, rag, 12v torch, duct tape, cable ties, spare gloves, and thermal t-shirt. Backpack, holds lap top and blackberry only, goes with me everwhere.

Regards, Lambo

·
Registered
854 Posts
whoosh, if you ever have a problem with navigation it seems as though wombat has come up with the ideal solution. He calls it 'analogGPS' and you can see a pic of it in his member album. Most impressive, it has to be said.

DaveB.
I used to have one like that but it span around too quickly when I was riding ;)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I used to have one like that but it span around too quickly when I was riding ;)
I guess wombat's was set up for use on a slower machine, so he didn't have the same problem....

Or perhaps that's why he only rides the coast road around Hawaii :).

DaveB.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I prefer using a tank bag. I find a tailpack to be awkward to fit and even find it difficult for me to get on & off the bike with it on. I'm also oldschool- no GPS, I use maps so the map pocket on the tankbag is a must for me. It's also so easy to get to my camera, autocard for petrol/gas & tollgates, gate remote etc., 'cos it's all right there in front of me. Check out poddy's tankbag thread on this same page.

Picture of my tankbag in my member album. It's not big, but it's enough for most things I need on a local day trip. If I'm on a longer trip I use the hard panniers anyway.

DaveB.
Yeah, I read through Poddy's thread and I personaly can't stand a tank cover. I like the lines of our tanks and the cover makes it look gaudy in my opinion. I do like the options the Bags Connection gives you but the price is pretty rediculous. I also have a GPS and I can't afford any more speeding fines so I need to see my guages.
Well, I guess I am off to shopping around the web for tail packs.
Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I use the SW-Motech tank bag that clips on to the gas tank ring. It does not cover my beautiful tank like the bags with bras. Although a tail bag can hold more items, I like the tank bag because it's easy off/on, carries my satellite radio so I can listen to it while riding, and gives me the security that my valuables have not flown off my bike without me knowng about it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
burmbuster, I agree, I didn't want my tank covered. FWIW I can see the instruments quite clearly with the bag in place.

DaveB.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tailpack

I've just got the Triumph tailpack & used it on a weekend trip to Scotland along with the standard Triumph panniers
Its a bit on the small side but I managed to get most of what I wanted in there, Oversuit, Camera, Summer Gloves, First Aid Kit, Puncture outfit, Earplugs, Visor cleaning Gear, Water, loose Change etc..
Its quick & easy to access, has 3 side pockets & zips on & off in no time if you need to carry it about. also has Ruck sack straps & a waterproof cover included.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
tailpack

I agree with deetyork. I just received my tailpack. Not that big but very functional. I also like the way it looks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It just came yesterday and mounted it up today. What I was looking for was something that I can put on the bike for just long day trips, or a single over-nighter.

Looks pretty good and should work well.

* Tough molded Polycarbonate hard-shell exterior
* Lightweight construction
* Sleek aerodynamic styling
* Comfortable back rest pad
* Large main compartment and two smaller pockets
* Four Velcro straps Included for easy mounting
* Converts to a shoulder pack when not in use
* Mesh cargo net included for extra storage
* Available in Electric Blue, Carbon Fiber, Stealth Matte Black, Gloss Red, and Metallic Silver
Exterior dimensions: 14”(L) x 13.5”(W) x 7”(H)

The Axio Hardpack Tail Bag is styled right to compliment the look of almost any sport bike on the market. Mounts easily using the Velcro straps that are included, the tough molded hard-shell has Two internal storage pockets and a large main compartment with integrated elastic straps for securing your cargo. There is a built in hidden shoulder strap for easy transport off the motorcycle, and a cargo net is included for add on storage. Overall this is a very cool tail bag with Axio technology in every inch.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Looks good on your Sprint.
I use a tailpack for my daily commute, but when I go on long trips I use the tankbag. I don't use GPS; I still rely on APS (analog positioning system, aka map) so it's nice to have the map pocket in front of me on the longer runs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts