Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good tank bag ,heard that the OEM bags are not very good.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Zulu,
mate I use the Triumph tank bag and tank cover. It is pretty good bag and more importantly it doesn't leek. It holds everything I need for a trip and comes with a handy day pouch. Hope this helps,

cya The Tankman
:cool: :cool: :cool:

G

·
The one I had for my trophy prior to this bike wont fit I think only to Triumph one is any good at this stage. :hammer:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got the Bags Connection Engage-Sport bag with SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock gas cap socket attachment. I got it from Twisted Throttle dot com in December.

Unfortunately the weather has been lousy enough around here that I haven't ridden my bike since I got the bag! So I can't comment about it's usefulness while flying. But I sure like the way it attaches and detaches, and it seems to hold all the things I want it to hold. In addition, the bag appears to be well built.

Wish I'd get a chance to test it out on the road one of these days...

--Sparty

·
Registered
944 Posts
Same here, but I opted for the Engage (sans Sport). The mounting system is genius, save for the lack of security...no lock to prevent someone from popping the bag off and taking it with them.

See my gallery for pics.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the engage sport. It was my first tank bag. At first I found it distracting. I am very short, so the bag on the top of the tank seemed tall to me. However after a few hundred miles, I almost never take it off. It is very roomy and I use the expansion zippers to cram all kinds of stuff when I take off for a weekend ride also using my tailbag. It is stable at high speeds. I have had it for a little over a year with no complaints. Heres a shot of the bags taken on the Dragon by killboy.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'll fourth the Bags Connection tank bags. I got the Daypack II with the fuel filler attachment and I added the map case. I got the smaller one because I don't like having a large tankbag.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Might as well jump into this. I use a Sargent Superbag, but I don't like the straps because of the plastic tank, so I'm going to adapt the connector ring system from a Luggage Locker bag to the Sargent bag. That way I can have the best of both worlds, because I really like the Sargent bag, it's got great features and is very flexible with its modular system of components.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bags Connection/SW Motech is the way to. I also have the Engage Sport model and it works perfectly. The folks at Twisted Throttle are great too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
On 2007-03-04 11:04, upnet wrote:
I have the engage sport. It was my first tank bag. At first I found it distracting. I am very short, so the bag on the top of the tank seemed tall to me. However after a few hundred miles, I almost never take it off. It is very roomy and I use the expansion zippers to cram all kinds of stuff when I take off for a weekend ride also using my tailbag. It is stable at high speeds. I have had it for a little over a year with no complaints. Heres a shot of the bags taken on the Dragon by killboy.
upnet.. can you give me some details on that tailbag you're using also? Who makes it and how it's connected to the bike etc.

THanks!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm leaning towards the Engage Sport bag with the quick lock gas cap system, this seems like a well designed product with ample storage capacity. I must admit the great shot of upnet on the Dragon did it for me.The problem with the Triumph OEM bag is the tank cover. I don't like the look.
I now have 900 Km on my bike and just loving every minute.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Stinger...the tail bag is also from twisted throttle.

It's a Bags connection rear bag. It has four nylon straps with a loop sewn on each end.Plus two short straps with a D ring in them. I loop the front two straps through the pillions foot peg boot guard, The two rear straps connect to the two short straps which are connected to the two lower license plate bolts(short straps have holes in them) They are looped through the D ring.
There are tension buckles (4) on the bag itself. It's really a nifty system. I have run this beast at triple digits and both bags stay put. Plus the rear bag is waterproof...although it comes with a cover.The bag covers the entire pillion seat and over the rear grab bar. No problem with heat melting anything.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/upnet1050/IMG_3736.jpg[/img[

[url="http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/921/499/"]Heres the link .[/url]

[ This message was edited by: upnet on 2007-03-05 18:49 ]

·
Registered
70 Posts
On 2007-03-05 18:33, upnet wrote:
Stinger...the tail bag is also from twisted throttle.

Man, that IS a cool system! I just might have to spring for it. Upnet, you look like a helluva rider. Look me up if you ever get way out West -- I'm in Oregon about 60 miles from the Pacific Ocean. Plenty good roads out thisaway, plus plenty more between your state and mine...

One of my riding buddies owns this site: Oregon Motorcyclist. He and I can introduce you to some sweet stretches of tarmac if you ever wind up clear out here.

--Sparty

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sparty....thanks. You never know. I just might take you up on that. It
has been awhile since I was out to that part of the country.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone have the engage-touring bag? I like a LARGE tank bag and I am wondering what the difference between the two is, other than what is says on the web site.

Pictures on a Sprint 05+ would be really nice.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
896 Posts
Upnet
looking at the pics of your engage sport tankbag, am I correct in seeing theres a zipper pocket of some kind on the front end of the bag??
I`ve just got a ES bag** but theres only 2 poppers at the front and I`m wondering if something is missing. A detatchable pouch maybe?

**I`ve just got the ES bag from my triumph dealer as a replacement for the (2nd) Triumph OEM bag that failed on me, when the stitching failed. As it was a deleted OEM item they refunded the cost, so I used that to buy the ES bag.
Though I still retained the OEM tankbra, rain cover, map pocket, and shoulder strap from the warrenty claim. These i may possibly sell later on

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Upnet
looking at the pics of your engage sport tankbag, am I correct in seeing theres a zipper pocket of some kind on the front end of the bag??
I`ve just got a ES bag** but theres only 2 poppers at the front and I`m wondering if something is missing. A detatchable pouch maybe?
I've got the Engage Sport with the 2 poppers on the front. From memory I think it's for a small optional clip-on mini case for spectacles/sunglasses, avalailable as an option.

DaveB.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Thanks DaveB
I`ll look into it, as every little bit of storage is useful ...........
I finally managed to fit the bag and ring, however it looks like 1 of the M5x40 button head bolts to go into the 4 O`clock position on the tank ring is missing and will need replacing. and now I`ve found the fitting instructions it looks like I`ve fitted the bolts to the bag/socket upside down :Oops .......... something I`ll rectify pdq

My 1st impression with the ES is that although slightly smaller than the old OEM triumph bag, the finish quality looks much better. add also that I was able to mount the bag slightly back enabling me to see over the bag and look at the zumo on my GG mount.
it would have been handy to have it with me this last weekend when I did a 700 mile round trip to Northern Ireland via the west coast of scotland, but I managed without a bag at all leaving that nekid blue triumph paintwork on view :D

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
+1 on the Sargent Superbag.

However, they are discontinuing them. They were selling them for $95. They fit plastic and metal tanks.

www.sargentcycle.com

My only beef is that refueling is a bit of a pain. But, the bag is fabulous!

(The seat is even better!)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts