Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a legend 98 the badges are decals, is there any way to attach a set of badges from a thunderbird 99 ?

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
This question came up before, if I remember correctly then the answer is no- the Legend tanks that have a decal do not have the threaded inserts to take screw on badges.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Use JB-Weld to adhere some properly threaded nuts to the tank, then grind down the attachment screws to the proper length to fit the badges to the tank...just might work.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
two other options

I, too, have a Legend with decals instead of badges. When I bought it, the previous owner had come up with some used badges, but then apparently realized they couldn't be attached. I have toyed with the idea of badges, and think that there are two options:
1 - buy a used tank with the mounting holes present, such as this example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triu...014QQitemZ330287957836QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

2- Use black urethane adhesive available at body shops to glue them on. I'm not sure the nut and epoxy route mentioned in an earler post would work, because the castings have to lie flat to the tank, and you would not only have to use shorter screws, but also counterbore the backside of the casting to let them lie flat over the protruding nuts. (I hate it when my nuts protrude:)) Not sure if they are thick enough to allow this.

If I ever give it a go, I'll post results.

·
Registered
348 Posts
OK, maybe some ground down Chicago screws adhered to the tank would work better than a pair of protruding nuts...or maybe even some of those little magnets that are really strong might work.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Yeah, I might be with Denny on this one - it could end up being a rarity. Dont go damaging the tank!

Either get a spare tank off fleaBay, or you can use 3M double stick body trim tape, which is used to attach body molding to many cars these days. You can get this tape at most any auto parts store. You can stick it on, and then remove later with minimal damage to your tank.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Rarity, schmarity, the badges look alot better than the decal.

I'd use to spray adhesive to attach the badges and glue the top of a bolt into the hole on the badge.

You can always remove it using the same method as those removing tank pads.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm with Big Al - glue the damned badges on, with dummy screw heads - you can always remove them later if you need to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts