Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 08 Thruxton with the plastic stick-on tank badges. I was told on this board that underneath the badges there are couple of threaded holes that will fit the older metal badges (as well as the accessory badges).

So yeah, that DOES turn out to be true. I ripped off the plates yesterday and there they are. And yeah, they line up with the holes in my new garden gate badges perfectly. And the tank curvature lines up just fine with the badge.

I don't know about 2009's, but as far as the '08 goes, you can definitely retrofit the supposedley "only 2007 and before" badges.

Thanks for everyone's help on that.

·
29,948 Posts
Glad that worked out for you. So far I haven't heard of anyone not finding the holes, but I don't think I've heard of anyone pulling the badges off an 09 yet.

Cheers

·
Registered
151 Posts
Pics?

Any pics? I'm about to rip mine off and install the "Heritage" badges, of which there are lots of pics, but I was thinking about the "Classic" (aka, Mouth Organ, Garden Gate, etc.) that you installed, but haven't seen too many pics of the Thruxton tank with them.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got an 08 and going to the dealer tomorrow to order the classic badge, can't wait
I don't mean to scare you -- but I don't know for absolutely certain that ALL '08s have the holes. Mine was made in May of 2008 and it does.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Any pics? I'm about to rip mine off and install the "Heritage" badges, of which there are lots of pics, but I was thinking about the "Classic" (aka, Mouth Organ, Garden Gate, etc.) that you installed, but haven't seen too many pics of the Thruxton tank with them.
I don't actually have a digital camera, oddly enough.

There are some guys around here with the garden gate badges, though. Thruxtonboy and Pepe both have them. For instance:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/78423-norman-hyde-peashooters-2.html

To my eye, it's a more authentic look. I realize that the Thruxton has a late 60's cafe look -- but a Triumph that would have been modded in the late 60's would have more than likely been an older bike. Of course these are just subjective opinions. I can't tell you what you think is prettier.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Maybe if EFI

Hi,

Does anywone knows more?

Do 09's have holes or not?

Thanks
Maybe it is that the EFI models having a different tank, possibly don't have the holes, and the non EFI do, that is the deciding factor. I really an just wondering aloud (well not really aloud, unless the key clicks count).:confused:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have an 09, and my tank does not have holes under the badges. I don't have them on actually and it looks really clean. I think eventually I'm going to put a transfer on instead, just have to decide the color . . .

·
Registered
76 Posts
what method did you use to get the stock badges off? just pry them of with something plastic that will fit between the badges and the tank? Is there any adhesive residue or anything like that?

I am pretty sure I want to get the black heritage badges for my 2008 thruxton, but I would hate to pull of the stock ones to find out that I either don't have the threaded holes for the machine screws or that the adhesive from the stock badges damaged the tank.

·
29,948 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what method did you use to get the stock badges off? just pry them of with something plastic that will fit between the badges and the tank? Is there any adhesive residue or anything like that?

I am pretty sure I want to get the black heritage badges for my 2008 thruxton, but I would hate to pull of the stock ones to find out that I either don't have the threaded holes for the machine screws or that the adhesive from the stock badges damaged the tank.
I used a heavy nylon guitar pick. Goo Gone took care of the remaining adhesive.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
15 Posts
What are everyone's thoughts on putting red heritage badges on a black 05 Thruxton? The only other red on the bike is red spark plug wires.

·
Registered
353 Posts
No metal for EFI

I asked a dealership owner specifically about this regarding '09s, EFI tanks... and he said there is definitely NOT holes for the older badges. Bummer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What are everyone's thoughts on putting red heritage badges on a black 05 Thruxton? The only other red on the bike is red spark plug wires.
Hey! I just put red heritage on my to my black '07. I'll post some pictures on here tomorrow if I can find my USB for my Camera. I'm in the middle of moving so bear with me.

Dude... It's so "right" in person.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts