Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and had a question that may have been discussed before. I have the 09 Bonneville with the glued on tank badge and wanted to know if anyone else had tried to take it off. I'm interested to remove mine but don't want to mess up the paint job.

I have read through pervious threads discussing the new glued on badges but none of them really mentioned how to remove it. I've read that a heat gun or blow dryer and dental floss would do the trick. Anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link! I might just count to ten on removing the badge.

Here's what I have done so far:

And with the help of photoshop where I want to end up:

This forum is great!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an 09 delivered Bonneville, big tank, but carbs.
When I wanted to remove the stick on badges I contacted Triumph Aust. who assured me that there were no holes under the badges.
Anyway I just filled the holes with cut off bolts & bogged over them, as I wanted a Triumph Decal on the tank to match the pinstripe.
Moral - dont trust asking Triumph if you want to know the answer to this question.
It would apear from the pics of 2009 Black Bonnie on the Triumph web site that they have gone to a painted tank with decal? (does this mean the injected models dont have holes?) - to bad, now my exclusive paint job is no longer a one off!
Regards Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would apear from the pics of 2009 Black Bonnie on the Triumph web site that they have gone to a painted tank with decal? (does this mean the injected models dont have holes?)

I never noticed that until you pointed it out. My Bonneville is the EFI with spoked wheels. I have only seen one other spoked EFI in person and for some reason his tank looked much larger than mine and he had bolted on tank badge. Even if there are holes under there I didn't think the bolt on badges fit the new tanks. But I'm also glad I don't have a sticker on it.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I don't know what you people use for dental floss, but I was never able to get more than a couple of tugs on mine before it broke. Did this repeatedly until I went thru most of the roll. Finally said the .... with it! Grabbed the end of it, kept a firm and even pressure on it and off it came. Both sides... Don't think you'd damage the paint at all, the badge would most likely bust in half first. Did this just this last weekend. Got new bolted on Heritage badges for her.

Curious about the bolt holes? Get a dental mirror, that little round thing the dentist always has in your mouth during the checkup. Stick it in the tank, shine a light on it, if you got bolt holes, you'll see the posts on the inside of the tank.

Your bike looks nice -- love them black headers and pipes. Don't know about a badgeless tank tho'. But again, it does look good.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Love the bike, hate the badgeless tank. Sorry but there is 106 years of history behind that badge and that is something to be proud of imo.

Love the black pipes and brown seat.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Let me get this right,you want to get RID of the Triumph badge,your on a bonneville and you wanna get rid of the TRIUMPH badge and make it a black bomber-Man I'm glad I lived long enough to see this one:)J.B.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've got a 2009 Bonnie Black, EFI and the plastic tank badges are glued on, and is not a decal.

I also wanted to get different badges for my bike, and inquired to the local dealer here, who I feel is very knowledgeable on Triumphs, and he claims there are tapped holes underneath the glued on plastic badges.

When I removed the plastic badges on my cruiser bike, I heated the tank up with a hair dryer and used 20lbs fishing line to get it off. Dental floss..in my opinion is too light a thread.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Your dealer should be wary of giving such definitive advice.
There were some transition bikes that did indeed have the holes, but no-body can be sure until you take the badges off.
The late 08 ones might still be OK.
But I suspect 09 onwards - forget it.
The new tanks are bigger - perhaps by 10%? - and the view in an earlier thread was that Triumph would likely elimate the holes in the new moulds.
I rang Triumph and grilled them.
Assume no holes - unless you are lucky - but be careful - the older badges may not fit the different curvature of the tank.
I am thinking of a paint job for the Triumph logo on my 09 Thrux

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't know if it will do any good, but...

I hammered Triumph about going to a plastic badge in a letter. (My late 08 non EFI still had the tap holes). New metal ones fit fine. Like someone on this forum wrote there is a lot of history in that badge. You can use plastic on a lot of parts, but I had to draw the line. My letter may not do any good, but you gotta call it likes ya see it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just for those keeping score, I pulled the badges off of my 01/08 bonnie, and there were threaded holes. The entire job from start to new badges on took about 45 minutes. I cracked one of the stock badges in my haste, but wasn't concerned since I had no intention of putting it back on. I recommend using fishing line if possible. Dental floss tears about every 30 seconds. After I managed to pull the corner of the badge up, I slid a wooden shim behind it and worked it around a little. was then able to pull the badge off pretty easily. The adhesive was almost like a tape, and came off quick. Used a blow dryer to soften it up, but would not be essential.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just for those keeping score, I pulled the badges off of my 01/08 bonnie, and there were threaded holes. The entire job from start to new badges on took about 45 minutes. I cracked one of the stock badges in my haste, but wasn't concerned since I had no intention of putting it back on. I recommend using fishing line if possible. Dental floss tears about every 30 seconds. After I managed to pull the corner of the badge up, I slid a wooden shim behind it and worked it around a little. was then able to pull the badge off pretty easily. The adhesive was almost like a tape, and came off quick. Used a blow dryer to soften it up, but would not be essential.
Do the badges come with the rubber backing and screws. ? And were would be the best place to purchase online that ship internationaly.
have been sitting on the fence with this one,being an 09 model.
figure if i buy the badges it might make me take a chance. rather than waste money. :eek:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I once helped with pulling the stick on badges off of a different bike. I poured rubbing alcohol and "goop" adhesive remover down the tank sides into the adhesive material while working on the badges with some fishing line.

The alcohol made the adhesive much more soft, and deteriorated it a bit which made the rest of the job pretty easy. The paint was unscathed.

Good Luck. It is a crime that you should even have to worry about this at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts