Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new motorcycle in Mars/April and the one that has caught my attention the most is the Thruxton R.

Since I'm a tall rider (6'4 and 34 inseam) I'm a bit worried that I might be to tall for this bike.
I haven't had a chance to sit or test ride one yet.

So is there any tall Thruxton R riders in here that care to share their experiences with this bike?
Pictures with you on the bike would also be very appreciated.

Best Regards,
Ron

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I do not own an R but have ridden one and i didn’t think it was too bad (6’5” w/36” inseam). I didn’t find it that much different than my air cooled Thruxton, maybe the pegs were a little higher. What I didn’t like, and I haven’t heard anyone else have this problem, is I felt like I kept sliding up towards the tank. The quick fix was just to twist the throttle but the back and forth was a little annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not own an R but have ridden one and i didn’t think it was too bad (6’5” w/36” inseam). I didn’t find it that much different than my air cooled Thruxton, maybe the pegs were a little higher. What I didn’t like, and I haven’t heard anyone else have this problem, is I felt like I kept sliding up towards the tank. The quick fix was just to twist the throttle but the back and forth was a little annoying.
Thanks for the reply Paddy!

I'm glad to hear that you thought is wasn't too bad when you're even taller then me :)
I guess another seat (comfort seat from Triumph?) could give more distance to the pegs or maybe its even possible to lower the pegs?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm 6"4" and it's super comfortable for me except for the knees which are fine but slightly annoying as they dont fit in tank. Which means i rub the edge...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 6"4" and it's super comfortable for me except for the knees which are fine but slightly annoying as they dont fit in tank. Which means i rub the edge...
Thanks for the reply mate!
Do you have a picture of yourself on the bike?

Like I wrote in my previous reply, maybe another seat plus lowering the pegs (if possible) could help and make the knees fit in the tank?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am 6'1" with 34" inseam and have no issues with my Thruxton R. My knees tuck right into the tank recesses perfectly. I have ridden more comfortable bikes but the Thruxton is not bad at all. If you are looking for more comfort, you might consider the T120.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am 6'1" with 34" inseam and have no issues with my Thruxton R. My knees tuck right into the tank recesses perfectly. I have ridden more comfortable bikes but the Thruxton is not bad at all. If you are looking for more comfort, you might consider the T120.
Yeah I've been considering the T120 but it just doesn't do it for me like the Thruxton R does judging by the looks. I will probably test ride them both once spring is here.

My "back up" if neither of them works out for me is the Yamaha XSR 900 (abarth or garage metal).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Will do - but it's not really an issue comfort wise, also getting those tank pads would make it even nicer :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Youre good to go

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new motorcycle in Mars/April and the one that has caught my attention the most is the Thruxton R.

Since I'm a tall rider (6'4 and 34 inseam) I'm a bit worried that I might be to tall for this bike.
I haven't had a chance to sit or test ride one yet.

I have a '16 Thrux, all standard, no mods. Im 6'1', 36 inseam and long arms. Ive found that my forward lean is minimized on this bike, I dont have to reach for the bars. It fits me just fine. There is some pressure on the wrists but it is minimal in my case. My knees hit the knee pads I installed at just the correct spot in the middle. Throw away the wooden stock seat, I switched it out to the dual comfort seat and its excellent quality and comfort. This bike should fit you comfortably.
The R has special equipment, which was un-necessary in my case ( I won't be doing the TT on the Isle of Man anytime soon). The R is about $2000 more than the standard model, at least it was in 2016. IMO the standards have better colors anyway.

Cheers, you will love either model Thruxton. Ive had 5 Triumphs, the Thrux is the best of the breed.

Weedie

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam (long legs I guess), I have sat and test ridden the bike 3 times and it fits me perfectly, fully able to flat foot with proper boots and no knee bend. I'd awesome someone with a 34"inseam wouldn't have much difficult/uncomfortableness.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I rode sport and sport touring bikes for quite a while. Now that my knees are shot I need more room. I think us older folk can relate, I'm 59.
That said, height and inseams are far less important when you can still fold up like a pretzel. Me, I'm leaning towards more room.
If I was ten years younger, I'd be all over the R, they're good bikes. I'm 6'4" or so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I couldn't wait for spring to arrive so I went to the closest Triumph dealer just to see one in the flesh.
Judging by just sitting on the Thruxton R at the dealer I was surprised how comfortable it was, too bad I couldn't take it for a test ride due to our poor weather conditions this time of year.

Here are some pic's of me on the bike. What do you guys think, Monkey on a football look? :D

·
Registered
980 Posts
In 2016 I managed an 1100 km day on the R and could still walk upright afterward. Its a surprisingly comfortable bike with the stock seat. Not so great with the optional discomfort seat.
I would pass on that item unless you need to carry a passenger.

Glen

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Looks like a good fit to me. If you’re comfortable, that’s all that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:agree Looks like a comfortable reach to the bars.

·
Registered
52 Posts
6'4'' - 34 inseam - 225lbs here- I took one for a spin two weeks ago and LOVED it. I was very comfortable and didnt personally have any issues with my legs. Im used to the older models but very well balanced and a bit more comfortable then older models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
6'4'' - 34 inseam - 225lbs here- I took one for a spin two weeks ago and LOVED it. I was very comfortable and didnt personally have any issues with my legs. Im used to the older models but very well balanced and a bit more comfortable then older models.
You have the exact same height and inseam as me. I'm very glad you liked it :)

Can't wait for spring now!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts