Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I guess this will be the best place for my newbie questions...

So this is my 3rd year riding, always on a 2007 FZ6. The bike has been perfect for me, in that it's very versatile. I can do a full day in the saddle and rack up thousands of km over a weekend or putt around town calmly, or hammer it at the track. The issue is that since I've started to really push it at the track I'm facing the need for suspension upgrades (min $1200) and PCIII dyno tune ($700) to *try* and fix the jumpy throttle response.

From the sounds of it the 'R' should be just as versatile but track-ready "right out of the box" so to speak. So that would be the first thing I would like to confirm from you track riders in hot shoe, have you found the bike limiting in any way, what mods have you had to make to the bike to wring it out on the track, if any?

A couple things I'm concerned with (haven't test ridden one yet) is the lack of fairing. How much buffeting do you get on the highway, what kind of strain do you experience if you spend the day on the highway. Please specify if you have the bug deflector or windscreen. Another concern is with the mirrors, it looks like their placement would afford me a great view of my forearms if I set them to see what's behind me. If this is right what workaround options are there?

What about fuel range? I can get 400km on my bike which is usually a lot more than anyone else I ride with so I can afford to lose some range, but what would I be looking at in terms of fuel range with the STR?

Also, I am 6'4" so I will almost certainly need bar risers or a higher handlebar. Shouldn't be an issue right? Any input from tall riders out there?

What about reliability? As an example I read about the regulator/rectifier being a weak point in the main ST forum, which may not be representative of the bike's reliability overall but with the relatively smaller number of dealerships it is something I might need to think about for those long cruises. Anything else that should be noted?

Also, I'm curious about the instrument cluster, some bikes seem to have a track ready cluster with shift lights and lap timer but some don't. I didn't see it as a dealer option and the sticky differentiating the R version doesn't mention it so what's the deal there? Aftermarket...? Retrofit from a Daytona...?

I'm probably forgetting a few Qs but this is more than enough to start with. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also, I am 6'4" so I will almost certainly need bar risers or a higher handlebar. Shouldn't be an issue right? Any input from tall riders out there?
Im 6'4" too and I just flopped my handlebars today because I found myself too upright on the expressway, the wind would impact at a 90* angle into me. Flipping the bars over allows me to tuck alot more comfortably

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flipping the bars over allows me to tuck alot more comfortably
What do you mean by flipping the bars over? Couldn't you just rotate them down or does that not accomplish what you need? I'll probably do something like that for track days so I'm curious to know.

·
Registered
208 Posts
fastar1 - We could start a thread on tall riders. I too am 6'4" and the triangle is a little cramped for tall peoples in stock so I put clip-ons on to get more reach (and to get the angle of my tailbone off the horrible stock seat). The upright handlebar is more about the ergonomics you want than fitting for a taller rider. And the better angle for the wind blast is a perk too. I personally find that the smooth wind without a screen is better for my tall self - when I had the screen there was a lot of buffeting around my head. Without it is smooth and the wind below 90 is fine. And when you do push it over the 100mph you can tuck into it and enjoy the aggression.
About that stock seat - if you plan on doing longer rides you will most likely want to address that. There are some aftermarket hooks like Sargent or hit up Spencer here on this site or go to a local appolstery guy and say put a couple inches of padding in this &!#$!.
Mirrors can be adjusted so I wouldn't worry about that - or swap out for some bar end mirrors so you can see around your huge shoulders.
Your mpg on the str3 will be drastically less than the fz6. I came from an sv650 which is not far from the fz6 and to me it was a 20mpg loss.
As for reliability I've only put 3k miles on mine so can't speak to that myself but from others on this forum these are very reliable. I'll let you know in a couple years. =)
As for overall ride enjoyment it's off the charts. The engine is worth every extra mpg it eats up. The overall handling and flick-ability is superb. And I like the naked raw bike look so...
All that being said you might want to conciser the new Speed 3 to accommodate your largeness. Most of my riding is daily commute and shorter canyon/twisty runs so the Str3 is perfect but if I had aspirations for longer rides I'd lean toward the Speed3, especially the new one.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm "only" 6'2", but I've never really had any problems with the ergonomics just riding around town, but it does get a little awkward if I try to duck down. Honestly, you just need to sit on one to figure out if it'll work for you.

I've never had a fared bike before, so I've personally never had any problems with wind unless I was on the highway and it was really windy (i.e. over 30mph) or I was going well over posted limits (which of course, like everyone here, I'd never do). A combined bike/wind speed of around 100mph seems to be where I need to hold on with both hands.

You're going to lose a lot of range for a single tank. Down to somewhere around the 140mi/225km range when the light comes on seems to be about average.

Mirrors, you'll really get to know what your elbows look like with stock mirrors. Bar end mirrors will solve that. I especially like my CRG Hindsights.

Reliability, there is a small, but vocal, group who've had R/R problems, but I've got the old version and I've had none. I did have a battery issue, but that was because it was on the showroom floor for almost a year.

As for the clusters, there are two different styles, that changed over with the 2010 models, but they all have the same functionality, which is the same as the Daytonas', including lap timers and shift lights.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If your after 400k to a tank start looking elsewhere. I average about 250k and that's riding pretty sedately.

But make sure you take one for a ride before you decide, you might just find yourself putting up with that small range, their that good! Everytime I ride mine all I get is :):):):):):)

·
Registered
28 Posts
250km is huge! My last bike was a Honda CB-1 and I just got 125km before I hit the reserve. Granted, the tank was a fair bit smaller. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just did a 1100mile ride with my buddy who is on an FZ6 and he definetly beat me on the mpg range even though the tank size is only .4galons bigger (the FZ6 has a 5gal vs 4.6gal on the striple). Comfort wise... the seat blows, I want to get that taken care of asap, I havent figured out what would be the best way to lower the pegs too because they can make you feel super cramped up. Luggage options are a bit limited as well (they open up a bit if you get a low mount exhaust).

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm 6'1 and I have no problems on the highway and I cruise around 85mph. However the stock mirrors were useless for me. I could not adjust them enough to see out of them. I got ebay $60shipped bar ends and they are awesome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.