Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 6'3'' with a 34-36 inseam. Will a set of rearsets on the Bonnie will make it more comfortable or not? Will I gain ground clearance? Right now with the stock pegs and levers I scrape them too easily...

·
Registered
258 Posts
At your height, I think it will become less comfortable, but will help with ground clearance. However, the sidestand will become an issue next. Also make sure the sag on your suspension is set up at the minimum(25mm), as this will help with clearance issues, too. It is usually set at a higher level than that from the factory.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Likely, you're waaay too heavy for the factory Bonnie suspension (almost everybody is). There are two things you should consider:
1) Put some better rear shocks under you, and upgrade the springs up front as well.
2) Give serious thought to replacing your shocks with something of comperable height/length as those the Thruxton come with; they're taller.

Have your sag/pre-load/damping adjusted by a pro' and have him explain what you can do to further dial them when you're out on the open road.

Rear sets WILL help to a degree (sans center-stand), it's all about whether you're comfortable riding in a more aggressive position. HEY, Europeans do it all the time!

·
Registered
288 Posts
You could hang off the bike more, that would allow you to use less lean angle for a given speed.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I put rear sets on mine mainly fo clearance. The position is more comfortable as I find it easier to lean forward now with my legs tucked under more. I also have some lower bars ordered
I am not as tall as you 5'10"
As Pat suggested Thruxton length shocks with appropriate rate spring.
Before I put rear sets on I used to have the Ikon rears on the tallest preload. Except this makes them too hard on the road as all the softer part of the spring is preloaded.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On 2006-12-13 12:50, FattRat wrote:
Likely, you're waaay too heavy for the factory Bonnie suspension (almost everybody is). There are two things you should consider:
1) Put some better rear shocks under you, and upgrade the springs up front as well.
2) Give serious thought to replacing your shocks with something of comperable height/length as those the Thruxton come with; they're taller.

Have your sag/pre-load/damping adjusted by a pro' and have him explain what you can do to further dial them when you're out on the open road.

Rear sets WILL help to a degree (sans center-stand), it's all about whether you're comfortable riding in a more aggressive position. HEY, Europeans do it all the time!

1) is done: front dual rate springs and rear Street Tracker shocks by Works Performance.

I don't have a center-stand neither.

btw I'm French...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On 2006-12-13 12:58, WANG wrote:
You could hang off the bike more, that would allow you to use less lean angle for a given speed.
I do that quite a lot, it helps of course to use less lean angle. But still...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On 2006-12-13 15:32, DickBender wrote:
I put rear sets on mine mainly fo clearance. The position is more comfortable as I find it easier to lean forward now with my legs tucked under more. I also have some lower bars ordered
I am not as tall as you 5'10"
As Pat suggested Thruxton length shocks with appropriate rate spring.
Before I put rear sets on I used to have the Ikon rears on the tallest preload. Except this makes them too hard on the road as all the softer part of the spring is preloaded.
Yesx, that's the problem: tallest preload = too hard on the road

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Yeah..... sell off those good shocks, somebody should be anxious to buy them! Then replace them with some taller Thruxton height shocks with single rate springs. And DON'T neglect those fatory springs up front, those things have NO damping!

They say the most aggressive rear sets readily available for our bikes are those made by Raask, I have some on my bike. (I'll see if I have an image that shows how high they are.) I'm pretty comfortable with them, but I stand a mere 5' 2".

About that leaning..... ever since I learned to practice"Pivot Steering", my lean angles have been reduced considerably and my chicken strips are now wider.... but the resulting footprint and above mentioned technique is getting me around those sweepers more efficiently.

A quick & easy fix might be to simply replace your fat factory footpegs with some smaller footpegs.

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-12-13 17:41 ]

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I posted a review on the N-H rearsets on this forum. I am 5'11", but have a relatively short 31" inseam. The rearsets work for me, but just barely so. I believe that a tall person might have issues with the minimal space between the footpegs and the seat's top. I'd be inclined to go with the taller shocks and a good set of fork springs. Sag uses up the majority of your bike's clearance when stock...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Will a set of rearsets on the Bonnie will make it more comfortable or not? Will I gain ground clearance?
It depends on how flexible you are in the ankles,knees and hips. Rearsets put you in a slightly more forward riding position so it will also increase the stress on your wrists, upper body and back. some people like that. some don't.
I'm 6'2" and I can deal with rearsets. There fine for the twisties or short trips but for longer trips I like to be able to switch up my foot position.

strictly speaking rearsets do not effect ground clearance. They will however let you achieve greater lean angles.
Moving the pegs up or shortening the lenght both increase lean angle Do both and you gain twice. (Most rearset pegs are shorter for that very reason)
The easiest, cheapest and fastest way to gain lean angle is to just use shorter pegs. Or you could just take off your hero nubs and grind the bottoms at an angle. :razz:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts