Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5,243 Posts
Do I ever have boots!
Most of the boots today just bite, it's all how cheaply can we make them.
The Red Wing Heritage Series are well made, the "regular" Red Wings are a mix of imported leathers and/or imported boots, the Irish Setter line is from Asia.

I had a cobbler sew on shifter patches on my old Red Wing Heritage Engineers (discontinued) or wear one of their less expensive lace up models on a bike.
The Heritage ones can have new heels and soles put on by a cobbler, the molded ones require a trip back to the factory and for the price, they obviously want you to buy a new pair.
Do you need waterproof, insulated, something for warmer weather? There's no one boot does all.

I gave up on motorcycle-specific boots years ago, they just wore out or fell apart.

While I think of it, engineer boots usually come with a tall heel. They'll slide your foot all the way forward but you can get a lower heel stuck on so you can actually walk normally in them.

· Registered
5,243 Posts
A vendor at the annual Triumph Rally in Emmaus always has the Wesco boots for sale.
Their Engineer boots must be twice the weight of my old Red Wings, they are really stout.
To answer your question, Engineer boots would probably get ripped off in a crash depending how you land, they don't grip the calf real snug.

If the boot doesn't have that Goodyear welt the sole is molded on so they get pitched when they wear out.
If you're lucky you can get years out of the molded soles but the manufacturers are all cost cutting like crazy.
AlpineStars six months and they split at the seam, my Sidi beater winter boots are made in Bulgaria or someplace like that, they fake leather shifter patch is disintegrating.

Thorougood would probably be my second choice, I really like the look of their all black moc toes but their repair costs are crazy. Maybe get some of these to beat up and keep my Red Wings in decent shape (not what you're after, though):

· Registered
5,243 Posts
I try not to torture test them but I've never lost an engineer boot in a crash.
Chippewa made some engineer boots with shifter patches and velcro closures but they let water in so up for sale they went.
I'll stick with the old Red Wings, go down 1/2 size from a sneaker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts