Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am seriously thinking about going to the dark side and getting a new duc street fighter. the local dealer dosent have one in yet but they are going to call when one comes in. i love the speedy but i just cant get over how bad ass that SF looks plus 155hp dosent sound bad either. i still am going to ride one before i make up my mind for sure. and another thing to be honest (some of you might remember all of the problem i have had with my S3) now that the warranty is up im afraid it is going to continue to be a pos the only difference is now i will have to pay to have it fixed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Honestly, if I had the money I'd go for it. Just keep the speedy and have 2 bikes :D

i am seriously thinking about going to the dark side and getting a new duc street fighter. the local dealer dosent have one in yet but they are going to call when one comes in. i love the speedy but i just cant get over how bad ass that SF looks plus 155hp dosent sound bad either. i still am going to ride one before i make up my mind for sure. and another thing to be honest (some of you might remember all of the problem i have had with my S3) now that the warranty is up im afraid it is going to continue to be a pos the only difference is now i will have to pay to have it fixed.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Go for it! As they say, you only live once.

And when you get it, post lots of pics and comparisons between it and the Speed Triple so we can all experience the Duc vicariously. :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you've got an itch, scratch it!

By the time you're done with the Ducati, we'll have a completely new and redesigned Speed Triple anyways. But make sure you feel 100% comfortable with the switch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why would I talk you out of it? I test rode one in New Orleans and ordered a red S. Its supposed to come in next weekend (they had to replace the shocks I am told on some factory recall) so I am now getting real excited and ticking of the days. I am keeping the S3 for sure so the Duc and S3 will have to get along So yes I can post pics and give you my view of both bikes if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just took one for an unsupervised test ride yesterday. I have to say, it was amazing. The power is easier to modulate. The twin sounds so good, I could ride around all day in 2nd or 3rd gear just to hear it. It's light, easy to maneuver at low speed, looks great. Geared tall, probably due to European decibel requirements but on the highway, you can haul ass and not be taching out like on the S3. And it builds speed deceptively fast. Because the engine feels like it's not turning as many revs, you find yourself going 10 or 15 mph faster than you realize. Pretty comfortable too! I'll buy one guaranteed but will get one used as $14,900 is a lot for a bike.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'd do it! I had a SF on order but bought my 08 S3 with Arrow slip ons for $6000 less out the door. Get the SF and put a 1 tooth smaller countershaft on, deal with the obnoxious exhaust heat guard (I wear a 10.5 boot and it bugged the crap out of me) and be done with it!

The S3 feels more upright. The SF more sportbike-esque but not that bad; again, the right footpeg thing blows.
The SF feels more compact around the tank/seat junture for me.
The SF mirrors don't look as stupid in person as online or mags; the S3 mirrors are goofier so I replaced them with KTM Super Duke mirrors. Huge improvement!

I like the dry clutch sound, but I love my S3 with Arrows (baffles removed).

I have no remorse with my S3. I'll never see a track, there are too many cops in my area and going 80mph has me ready to hand over my license, and the $6000 in my pocket is nice. But when the SF becomes an 1198 I'll probably snag it....or the 1198 available now.

Truth be known, a big part I got the S3 over any other bike was sound, looks and uniqueness. I knew it wasn't the quickest/fastest/blah blah blah. But it sure makes me smile! If the SF makes you smile, drool, look at it like the classroom hottie you'd never ask out, then get it!

You are in a win-win situation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL, jeeze guys you were supposed to tell me that the S3 is the best bike on the planet and all of that stuff. but i guess that is what makes this a great site everyone is honest.

i really think im going to get one when they are no longer on a waiting list to get. maybe see what the local dealer will give me for trade on the speedy.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Okay......Don't do it. Your a selfish bastard if you buy one. I don't have one you shouldn't too. If you have that kind of money maybe you should donate it to the poor or voluntairly pay more in taxes to the IRS to help offset your households estimated portion owed to the national debt. And finally......Their ugly and someones who' jelous will come along and kick it over. Convinced????

·
Registered
369 Posts
maybe see what the local dealer will give me for trade on the speedy.
If that dosn't shock your sinceabilities that I don't know what will. Maybe a 23.99% intrest rate on the purchase balance and a 2k a year insurance quote. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts