Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding a 2006 Sprint for more than a dozen years, but have had my eye on the Thunderbird Storm for a while. I know they're out of production, but I've seen a few 2010-2013's for fair prices and am considering making a swap.

Anyone have experience with both bikes who can give me their opinion about which is a better bike for a "maturing" rider. ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you have spare space, and the finances, why don't you keep the Sprint while you try out the Storm?
I don't imagine the Sprint has a huge amount of trade-in value, so it wouldn't make much difference on your outlay for the Storm.
Then if you change your mind, you still have the bike you're used to, or if you're happy with the Storm you can sell it on.

There is a Thunderbird that rides with my group. He does well, but ultimately cannot keep up with the Sprints, Trophys and Tigers when the road gets windy. But 90-95% that's not an issue and he's right there with the rest of us.

20210218_Nannup Run 2.jpg

Cheers, Keef.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
197 Posts
A mate of mine went from a Bonnie to a Thunderbird not so long ago. He said that now he had grandkids he thought slowing up a bit was a good idea. He was always way behind me when I was on an Indian Springfield. I sold the Springfield for a Tiger 900 GT Pro, the opposite of his move. I'm a touch older than he is, I suppose it's a matter of how your head works.

He had a local bike painter work it up a bit. Australians will recognise the Red Tailed Black Cockatoo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i agree with cheef. it doesn't pay to get rid of the sprint. I have an 06 ST and another bike as well. If it's a financial issue the interest rates are pretty low these days,

·
Super Moderator
3,199 Posts
I’m nearly 60 and will be considering a mobility scooter that I can fit a triple motor in once I mature as well.
Once you mature?

Storms are nice, but they really lag behind the group in my experience. Obviously the ergos are completely different. Cruisers just kill my back, but for some it's more comfortable. Now, if you're looking for a nice ride to take it easy on, it's a good bike. Also, nothing wrong with wanting to go at a slower pace.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 TBS
1,454 Posts
I’ve found that when I’m considering a new bike, I start upgrading my current bike to keep me interested in it. But the desire for the other bike remains, and I sell the other after putting unnecessary money into it. Buy the Storm, see if you like it. If you don't, sell it and look for something else. Life is too short to miss out on something we want. As long as finances aren’t an issue. Just buy and sell right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts