Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trolling here for the better part of the day, trying to decide on my next bike (sold the last street bike at the end of the summer).

I've settled down to a couple of bikes and the Tiger seems to be at the top of the list. Right under it is a Thunderbird Sport, but I like to do some long distance travelling and I don't think the T-bird is cut out for it. I don't plan to use it for anything rougher than dirt roads, that's what my KTM is for. The appeal in the Tiger lies in my being a fairly tall fellah who likes the upright positioning.

I've got my eye on an 03 with 26k on it that's priced at almost $8k. That seems a bit high to me for that kind of miles. I'd spring for it at closer to 6.

My questions for the experts are:

1) How is the bike for riding 2 up? My wife is a small gal, about 5'5" and probably weighs less than a full saddle bag.

2) How many miles is this thing realistically good for? I'm the kind of guy who looks long and hard for the right bike and rides it until it completely gives up. That being said, it's silly of me to buy a machine that wears out in 90k miles.

Thanks for the info ahead of time

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hello mate... brief post this... rode 250 miles yesterday in pretty bad rain and wind (fuel light came on at 219 miles so great range)... only disadvantage was wind protection over the fairing (I'm 6'1") could be miles better (soon to be remedied)... In every other respect, pretty ***** stable in wind, enough power for most people, supremely comfortable (just love the riding position)... bags of character that makes the bike feel very individual... some people have a problem with the stock seat... I don't... 20,000 miles in just over a year and wouldn't want any other bike right now... really!

Russ

p.s. regularly take my 6'5" skinny nephew for 100+ miles and he loves it... and says it is comfortable

·
Registered
401 Posts
There is a guy on here with his tiger in the classifieds. It is an 05 model and it is stoked with accessories and it is 1000 below kelly blue book $6999.00 killer deal

http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forum&file=viewtopic&topic=65247&forum=35

That's the link. I have a Thunderbird standard that I'm selling this weekend. It has been a great bike, but I'm a large person and my 06 tiger is much more roomy for a person my size- I just rode it it to california and the ride was like a luxury car. It has better accomodations for luggage than other models and although I haven't done it much- I hear that pillion comfort is very high on the tiger

On my trip I usually got about 50 mpg and one time actually got 54mpg. Must have been down hill with tail wind ha!

That triple engine is very tough and reliable. I think you would like it.

If I had any critiques of it it would be the sidestand allows the bike to fall over if you aren't careful about how you park
and the lights in the gauges aren't very bright at twilight. There is helmet buffeting depending on the individual's size and riding position. None of these are that serious in my opinion and I'm well pleased with my tiger.

Good luck with your new bike what ever you choose

Oh Tiger
My two wheeled 3 cylindrical friend
I just have finished my amends
for excessive time I spend
astride thy sculpted saddle

Yet from the garage you beckon -Ride
to verdant vistas far and wide
and through the autumn air to glide

Just a little gasoline
off the bugs and spotless clean
spin the starter and start to dream

From lapping waves on ocean's beach
twisty asphalt-canyon's breach
There is no province I can't reach

All these places I have been
Past halting stoplights, jealous men
Yet I can't wait to be once again
Astride thy sculpted saddle

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great info, guys. The 05 for $7k pretty much confirmed my belief that $8k is way too high. NADA is around 4, but it's always a bit low. I called the dealer and expressed my thoughts on the price and they dropped to 6100 without a flinch. I might stroll by in a couple of weeks when they're at the slowest and offer them 5500 out the door if it's in decent shape.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The Tiger is a great all=purpose bike and tourer.I took my wife (complete novice pillion) to the Spanish Pyrenees last year.We did 2400 miles in 8 days which inluded one day of 500 miles thru' France.We were the most comfy of all riders and the missus was fine.Highly recommended.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hmm have seen the post and my input is this. A tiger is great for touring, BUT. if you want to chase sport bikes then you have to rework the suspension unless you can lure them onto reallly bumpy roads.
I have just purchased a sprint st 1050 cos the tiger is naff etc...... trouble is I still have the tiger. And it keeps doing most things better than the sprint, except top speed and serious acceleration. So I am going to out the sprint and keep the beast. (oh and a 5 ft 10" wobbly wife is not a problem). If she sees this I am dead.
My tiger has now done 42K miles in 3 years and still goes like stink and is 100%. It may be replaced, but only by a new tiger.
:whoops:

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I stopped in to look at the bike today. it is absolutely pristine. Hardly a mark on it. Has a few spares like a clutch cable and bulbs, the stuff you'd pack for a long ride and a Triumph tank bag along with a full set of luggage. I'm going to call the dealer in the morning and offer 4000 in cash to take it off his hands. It's a japanese shop and around here not much that isn't either an offroader or a cruiser sells so I might pull it off. I don't imagine that the dealership wants to pay the end of the year inventory tax on it either. Truth be told, I'd pay the full 6 that he offered me, but I think he'll sell for less.

·
Registered
922 Posts
On 2006-12-09 20:12, zebulonsmith wrote:
I stopped in to look at the bike today. it is absolutely pristine.

I'm going to call the dealer in the morning and offer 4000 in cash

sounds like you have talked your self into a Tiger without our help!!

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's in the garage now. I walked out with the bike for 5200, which I'd say is pretty good considering all of the accessories and the condition. I rode it about 20 miles home today and it was about 10 degrees past freezing and the bike ran great. Looking forwards to alot of riding this season. Thanks to all for the info.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You know you fell in love with that bike when you ride it home in temperatures that low. :wink:

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's an understatement. It was about 40 F this morning and supposed to get warmer, so I rode her to work, too. :-D

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
On 2006-12-10 20:43, zebulonsmith wrote:
It's in the garage now. I walked out with the bike for 5200, which I'd say is pretty good considering all of the accessories and the condition. I rode it about 20 miles home today and it was about 10 degrees past freezing and the bike ran great. Looking forwards to alot of riding this season. Thanks to all for the info.
Is that the '03? Or the '05? Nice deal either way. Great bike, Tiger!

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a silver 03. Has just about everything that I want except a set of crash bars. I'm still poking about deciding which set I like.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
On 2006-12-11 12:54, zebulonsmith wrote:
....a set of crash bars. ...which set .....
I investigated that pretty well. I came up with the Ma's Bars. They've re-designed them a few times to perfect them, which impressed me. I ordered a set but when he called me up with them I craped out because my funds were low. So, I didn't actually mount a set yet. It's on my ist of things to do this spring.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can appreciate a company that puts some decent engineering into their products. I'm googling for the bars now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed a set of Ma's on my 05 in Sept. They provide an excellent platform for auxillary lights and highway pegs as well as good protection. I picked up a set of very cheap highway pegs at Dennis Kirk's Scratch and Dent store in Minnesota for less than $5. They work great!

Installation of the bars was pretty simple except that at one point in the process the engine dropped a couple of mm so I had to jack the motor up enough to replace the mounting bolt.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
On 2006-12-12 10:08, TigerLady wrote:
... I picked up a set of very cheap highway pegs at Dennis Kirk's Scratch and Dent store in Minnesota for less than $5. They work great!

...the engine dropped a couple of mm ......
I asked Ma's to quote me with the footpegs. I wonder how much more expensive that made the set-up, so that I couldn't afford it?

The engine dropped!!!? I don't think youre supposed to loosen the engine, areyou?

·
Registered
15 Posts
On 2006-12-12 14:48, Jamo wrote:
On 2006-12-12 10:08, TigerLady wrote:
... I picked up a set of very cheap highway pegs at Dennis Kirk's Scratch and Dent store in Minnesota for less than $5. They work great!

...the engine dropped a couple of mm ......
I asked Ma's to quote me with the footpegs. I wonder how much more expensive that made the set-up, so that I couldn't afford it?

The engine dropped!!!? I don't think youre supposed to loosen the engine, areyou?
IIRC one of the top mounts for the bars is the top engine mounting point. I may have not installed them in the correct order. My mechanical skills seem to be limited to splitting mauls and chain saws.

The footpegs that Ma's sells are WAY more expensive! I found that the Ma's guards provide a pretty standard vertical bar that most generic (ie: cruiser) footpegs will fit on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts