Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my Bonneville off having all kinds of goodness done to it. Major goodness.

I'm sitting here, no bike, have a serious jonesing for a ride, or at least the smell of a motorcycle in my garage.

Talk to me, people, please!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, not doing the work myself. Wish I could say I was, but such is not the case.

I'm having the work done by Bonneville Performance. Things kind of worked out for me that way, and Bill's brother was coming through my way with a trailer not quite full of race bikes, so he picked mine up.

1100cc motor. Beringer 6 pot up front. Replacing the rims with alloy- still spoked. New aluminum works performance shocks. 42mm Mikunis.

Alloy swingarm may or may not make it on, depending on when it gets here. JMC happened to have one with the adjusters I wanted (standard 45mm- I'm trying to keep it stock looking) in stock.

I found a company in CA that makes lithium batteries, and I just couldn't resist trading a 10 pound battery for a 2 pound battery. Of course, it was 2/10 of an inch too wide, but they are rebuilding it to fit- now that is service!

There may be some stuff I've forgotten, but that is the basics.

Thanks for helping me out here, Prop. I didn't know it would get me like this. Weather permitting, I might be able to get on the tractor and do some bush hogging. Totally different from a hopped-up Bonneville, but mighty satisfying in its own right.

·
30,693 Posts
Well.

Wellwellwellwellwell.

That's quite a bundle of work, it will certainly be interesting to hear the results of that.

I find it's a good idea to have more than one bike - gives you something to play ON while you are playing WITH the other one. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is half as much fun as I think it will be, it should be a blast. I forgot about the dominator exhausts.

2 bikes. What a simple elegant solution. Seems so obvious in retrospect.

·
30,693 Posts
Dominators are an excellent choice.

And it need not stop at two bikes - why, as long as you have space, simply keep adding!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Bert,
Go to the local drug store and procure a sling for your arm. Fabricate some wild story about some cager causing you to go down on your bike and get yourself to the nearest "bike night" available.
Engage in a little "bench racing" and appreciate the sights, sounds and smells of the various bikes (and riders) there.
In a few weeks (when your bike is back), remove the sling and return to Bike Night. People will marvel at the restoration and you'll be an instant celebrity.
Failing that, go to the local dealerships and pretend you're interested in buying a bike. Ask to see their service department and try to find a couple of parts you can pick up and examine while getting your hands greasy in the process.
Inhale as many exhaust fumes as possible and wipe your hands on your pants and drive home with the windows down.
Remember not to countersteer in the car.
This is the only methadone I know of for the old "missing the bike" jones...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bert,

You came to the WRONG forum!

Hey, what kind of Bonneville do you have? That sounds like major work. If you have idle hands, go buy a nice camera for the pictures you are going to send the forum.:D

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Oh, oh, oh. Major work going on. I bet she's going to be a beauty. Never heard of the lighter battery. Tell us more!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nobody should feel sorry for me, I'm in for a great treat and I promise pictures will be forthcoming. If all goes as planned, it will look pretty much like it did when I started- an 07 Bonnie Black. I'm going for a sleeper with this bike. Once it is back, I'll take some photos.

The battery is made by a company called Voltphreaks in CA. They use lithium cells and make up a starting battery. The stock model didn't quite fit, so it had to go back for customizing. It weighs 2 lbs. That's 8lbs or so savings, but isn't close to what you can save in a car. They make a 4 pounder that will start your Lotus (if you happen to have one around). That is a whole lot lighter than a standard car battery and a pretty good chunk of weight out of the whole car.

I arbitrarily decided that I want to get the dry weight down under 400lbs, but look as close as possible to stock. I know the dominators don't look quite stock, but they aren't too far off from the current Bonnevilles so I'm not sweating that one. 2-into-1's would have been better for weight and probably performance, but I want to keep dual exhaust- no need to clue anyone in that something out of the ordinrary lurks within.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull off the weight loss or not, but the battery is an easy way to ditch 8lbs, plus I would like to see new battery technology evolve. Big chunks of weight come out when the airbox is removed, the steel rims are changed to aluminum, and (if it arrives in time) the swingarm is changed. The oil cooler change is supposed to be good for a few more pounds. The engine upgrade involves removing the balance shafts, not a small amount there. So, I should be down maybe 30 pounds or so.

From there, it is going to be hard going, a pound or even a few ounces at a time. I've already got the plastic fenders and plastic chrome, so not much I can do there. An alloy sprocket will save a bit.

I found a company that makes an aluminum brake rotor with ceramic surface and I thought about putting one of those in the back to save a few pounds. It is DOT approved, and works wet or dry or cold. I'm not interested in racing brakes that only work right hot and dry. Apparently the company doesn't want to sell them because my emails go unanswered.

I can probably get another 2 pounds off if I make a chain guard and front sprocket cover out of fiberglass or carbon fiber. I'd just paint them wrinkle black so the fact that I probably won't get a perfect finish on them doesn't matter.

After that, I'm close to tapped out for ideas on weight loss. I suppose an aluminum fuel tank might save a few, aluminum handlebars maybe a pound. I doubt I could save 2 pounds if I switched every bolt to titanium, although that would lighten the wallet enough to shave a few more pounds.

I have to say it has been fun thinking it all through.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm curious what your intended use is for your very moded Bonnie. Lighter weight is great for:

- the track (weekend or pro)
- dirt riding
- canyon carving and switch-backing
- and urban commuting

A heavier weight works better on:

- longer commutes on blustry roads
- and interstate traveling.

I sold my SV650 because my 160 pound body and the 365 pound SV did not enjoy serious crosswinds on very open roads and interstates.

The 450 pound or so Bonnie seems to hold its own, up to 80 mph or so, for me.

Just wondering, since weight is a factor you cite.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"After that, I'm close to tapped out for ideas on weight loss."

Mate, all I can sugest is ditching the donuts and sugary coffee for water and rice wafers. Then maybe an enema and a good clean out before each ride. Enjoy....

Mark

·
Registered
510 Posts
"After that, I'm close to tapped out for ideas on weight loss."

Mate, all I can sugest is ditching the donuts and sugary coffee for water and rice wafers. Then maybe an enema and a good clean out before each ride. Enjoy....

Mark
Just go the whole nine yards and get lipo -
I hear beautiful women can help you lose weight as well....

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Cool, didn't know about the possibility of changing the battery. A tad pricey, though :eek:

After that, I'm close to tapped out for ideas on weight loss.
You could go for titanium front springs. Not only would they save you some overall weight, but I guess half of it would be unsprung weight :)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
1100 cc motor??? What is that all about? You might want to explain that a litle.

For the price you are paying for the work, you should be able to pick up a used '79 Bonneville for about $3000 to keep you riding until it's done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts