Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY I JUST PICKED UP SOME SPORT DEMONS FOR MY THRUX AND I'M WONDERING IF YOU NEED TO TALC THE TIRE/TUBE? STARTING ON IT THIS WEEKEND PROBABLY GETTING SNOW IN NEW ENGLAND AGAIN SO I'LL SPEND IT IN THE GARAGE. THANKS, sob

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I recently resneakered my motorcycle and I used the same tubes and a bit of vegtable oil on the beads of the tires [hey, it's ALL natural] and they slid right on. It was like a rubbery salad! :D

·
30,527 Posts
When changing tires / inner tubes I always talc the inside of the tire, just like my Dad taught me.

I don't change my own very often - hardly at all. Last time I used Gold bond becuase it was all I had - so the wheel smelled fresh as well as not chafing! :eek:

It was a lawnmower wheel - but if I were changing my own tyre on the Bonnie I would talc / french chalk the inside of the tyre and the inner tube for slidey happiness.

As for the caps lock:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Caps!

Well thanks propforward for the advice on the talc & sorry about the caps thing, note taken! HA-HA, sob

·
Registered
285 Posts
Make everything nice and slippery.
You don't to pinch the tube.
I always put a little air in the tube before I finally fit the second bead. It stops the tube from folding and getting pinched.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The guy who taught me to true wire wheels insisted that I use unscented talc to mount tires, he said that the scented stuff could explode if it chaffed and got hot. He could have been pulling my leg, it seems that any talc is better than none.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't know if the scented stuff has corn starch or not, but cornstarch is mighty flammable/explosive. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The guy who taught me to true wire wheels insisted that I use unscented talc to mount tires, he said that the scented stuff could explode if it chaffed and got hot. He could have been pulling my leg, it seems that any talc is better than none.
He just wanted your motorcycle to smell funky so he could get all the babes and leave you with zip!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I always put a little air in the tube before I finally fit the second bead. It stops the tube from folding and getting pinched.
I add and take out air 3-4 times during the process to INSURE the tube is straight, and I've always changed my own tires. once water gets in thru the spoke nipples, the talc turns to smudge, so the purpose of talc is in the initial centering/seating slippage only.

that redundant in and out of air to center makes talc unneeded.

what if you believe in talc religiously, and do a tire on the side of the road without talc availability...can you still believe in the fix?

to talc or not to talc...that is the question.

go for it if it's handy, but don't lose sleep over it if it's not.

·
30,527 Posts
I actually carry a small bottle of gold bond with me on the bike. It's more for better slippage elsewhere, but if I was replacing a tube at the side of the road at least I'd have that, though I wouldn't worry unduly if I didn't.

Of course - I never have my tire irons with me anyway so my emergency gold bond stash is a moot point. :D

Handy on those hot sweaty days though.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
Don't know if the scented stuff has corn starch or not, but cornstarch is mighty flammable/explosive. Just a thought.
Yeah I know, my kid's diaper exploded....really messy!!

·
30,527 Posts
This has got me thinking though - changing an inner tube isn't that hard. Maybe I'll change my standard road kit to carrying tire irons and inner tubes.

Or maybe I'll keep that for long trips. The right toolkit does not need to take up that much room.

Hmm. Off topic, but it's got me pondering. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts