Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a cable for my tach. I found out why the PO did not have it hooked up. The cable jumps erratically and it makes some awful noises.
So can I open this thing up myself? How hard is it to get apart? They want alot of money for a rebuilt unit.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Try these guys. I no quite a few people with old Brit bikes and cars who have used them

http://nisonger.com/

·
Registered
101 Posts
I did my speedo. Used a dremel with a diamond coated wheel to cut through the chrome ring. Put a new chrome ring on but used a dab or two of silicone rather than roll the edges. That way you can get it off easily the next time and nobody will notice. I was baffled as to how the trip meter stem came out. Found out here it is a push fit that pops into place. I used a rubbery cork gasket paper to make new shock washers. Before you take it apart, pop off a brass cover over the stem where the cable goes in. It may be that the shaft has just seized in its bore and if you get some lube in there and maybe a little heat it will come free and the gauge will be fine without taking it apart. Once I got mine apart I found little wrong with it. I sprayed the whole mechanism with wd40 and shook it off. Put it back together and it goes fine. I got the return spring tension on the sweep hand a bit too strong so my speed is off a bit. I wanted the odometer to work more than anything. I would say whenever you have your gauges off the bike, flip them over, pop the brass cover off and get a tad of lube into the main shaft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts