Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering whether after you install a tail tidy does spray from your rear tire become an issue, i.e. do you run the risk of getting a stripe up the back of your jacket?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Its a sacrifice I'm afraid, I have had a tail tidy on my 2007 since new, fitted a hugger shortly after, made no difference, keeps the crap off the spring, but for going to work, I cut a piece of rubber which clips to the bottom of the number plate which helps, but looks butt ugly, as soon as I get to work I wip it off quickly lol....

other than that I dont know :)

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
They are pretty bad even as standard. Riding on a wet road on a standard S3 with NO falling rain will guarantee you a wet arse. Putting an R&G on will get you an even wetter arse and taking the 'boat tail' off and fitting a mad doctor or similar will get you a VERY wet arse. They also throw gravel up as well. I have an R&G tail tidy fitted and on dirt roads it throws dirt all over my back and down the collar of my jacket.

The dirt or gravel is more annoying than the rain, I ride 20 meters into my local biker cafe on the dirt and the back seat is covered in it and it`s crawling down my neck.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It is really bad. Road debris and a giant rooster tail can be expected and no the hugger doesn't help with anything but keeping stuff off of your shock. I ride nearly year round here in Indy (rain or shine) and must wear rain gear in even the slightest drizzle or else I have soggy bottoms...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a sacrifice I'm afraid, ... I cut a piece of rubber which clips to the bottom of the number plate which helps, but looks butt ugly, as soon as I get to work I wip it off quickly lol....
You wouldn't happen to have a photo of your ride with your temporary fix attached, do you? I'm just curious what type of coverage is required to avoid the overspray problem.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You know what though?

I have the stock fender on right now, and I get mud stripes down my back anyway. The rear fender arm is too skinny to block water/mud. It's ****ing useless.

Might as well chop it off and buy a one-piece waterproof riding suit like the Olympia Phantom.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have a photo of your ride with your temporary fix attached, do you? I'm just curious what type of coverage is required to avoid the overspray problem.

Oh My God SpeedRider, lol , its something I'd rather not share, as its hidious, basically I found a piece of plastic heated the end up to a right angle and cut it to fit in the slot on my R&G tail tidy, then I cut a piece of rubber approx 150mm x 100mm and superglued it on, I can now just unclip as soon as I get to work, its not anywhere near 100% efficient, but it does help, I can wip it off quick before anyone sees it.:eek:

Heres a photo of the contraption :eek:

This will never be seen between the hrs of 06.45 and 19.30 hrs

·
Registered
158 Posts
My friends constantly harass me to put on a tail tidy or cut off the rear fender. I tell 'em the fender doesn't fend very well to begin with and I'll be damned if I'll do anything that'll make it even less fendy.

·
Registered
379 Posts
That is a huge YES! You will sit in the puddle of water the entire time and dirt will be pretty much to the top of your helmet. It's not so much of a stripe as it covers you from your helmet to your ass. I went on a 6 hour ride, last Friday, and 4 or so of that was in the rain. My waterproof pants soaked through from sitting in the water for hours. Does the tidy tail look cool, yes; functional, no!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also get covered in dirt /rocks, my seat constantly needs cleaning as lots of **** flys up there even in the dry .... BUT it looks amazing, If its raining and your in wet weather gear, it doesnt matter if your back gets some spray, and its not too annoying so i think the benefit outweighs the negative.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I got stuck in a downpour once, still got soaked but that is what i would expect from doing 85 in the rain (still felt better then getting caught in a hail storm.... that one hurt). I honestly dont think the stock fender looks to bad, once you take the stupid round reflectors off of it. I had all intention of making my own tail tidy (and still do) but the motivation has dropped significantly since i removed the reflectors.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Second thoughts

Oh bu**eration. I literally have a new R&G tail tidy from R&G direct in my sights on ebay (£4 cheaper than buying from the R&G web site too) - its open in another browser window as I type this!

Hmm.

If it's raining (this is British default) then a bit more won't matter via the tail tidy. But the comments about dust/debris have thrown me.

A mate has just had an R&G fitted by Rosner's in Croydon (South London) so I'm interested to see what his reaction will be on the next ride. But I will particularly keep my visor down when behind..

For a relatively long bike, it appears the rear end doesn't stick out enough..

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
Oh bu**eration. I literally have a new R&G tail tidy from R&G direct in my sights on ebay (£4 cheaper than buying from the R&G web site too) - its open in another browser window as I type this!

Hmm.

If it's raining (this is British default) then a bit more won't matter via the tail tidy. But the comments about dust/debris have thrown me.

A mate has just had an R&G fitted by Rosner's in Croydon (South London) so I'm interested to see what his reaction will be on the next ride. But I will particularly keep my visor down when behind..

For a relatively long bike, it appears the rear end doesn't stick out enough..
I have the R&G, looks great and the bottom line is, If you want to stay dry, you should be looking at a Tiger or a Sprint ST, not a naked bike. Like I said earlier, you get a wet arse even with the standard tail.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have the R&G, looks great and the bottom line is, If you want to stay dry, you should be looking at a Tiger or a Sprint ST, not a naked bike. Like I said earlier, you get a wet arse even with the standard tail.
Yup, drenched head to toe....
When i got caught on a 3 hour trip the only part of me that was dry was my chest right behind where my oversized tankbag was that i was crouching behind.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I still get a very small amount of gravel on my seat when I ride after ditching the stock tail fender, but you can cut down on most of the crap by installing the rear tire hugger and a simple "L" shaped license plate holder with the Clear Alternatives Taillight unit or any similar taillight unit.

But try to position the plate way out instead of tucked into the rear wheel. Because a) in too far will get you stopped by the cops, B) too close to the middle and the plate gets crushed by the rear wheel when you compress the suspension, and, C) with the plate out a bit it acts like a mudflap.

Here are two thumnails:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts