Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - new to the forum and generally learning the 'Triumph' ropes (such as umpteen different part numbers for any given model year depending upon build date, arrrrgggghhh). I'm looking for some of your collective insight and experience as I attempt to locate and fit the 'slimmer' tail plastic/seats from a 02 or newer Daytona/S3 to my 2000 model year Daytona.

The brief story is that I purchased a bike that had been 'thrown down the street' so all the plastic was junk - too expensive for me to replace so I've scrapped all but tank/tail....trimmed down the front fairing so it just covers the headlamps (emulating an S3) but the rear tail looks bulbous now that the bike is 'stripped' down. Can anybody give me advice on where to find/how to fit the 'slimmer' tail section from a later model Daytona/S3 without replacing my gas tank? Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think you just buy a subframe and tail bits (lights plastic whatever else) and away you go. 2002-2004 or the current 1050 S3. Pretty sure tank mounting is apart of the main frame not the sub frame. Where there is a will there is a way with this stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the positive reinforcement on my crazy conversion ;-) I had been under the impression that the rear subframe was the same between the 98-01 Daytona/S3 and later bikes and that it was the tank and rear plastic that differed....what I'm struggling with is where to find the rear plastic and/or tank. I've been culling ebay for weeks with no success - anybody have any ideas about where I could find the parts I need to do the conversion (I presume at least seat/tail plastic and tank...if not subframe)? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't think you need or want a newer tank. New tank == new mounting position and new fuel pump.

I have seen 1050 tails plastic on ebay in the last few week it comes as left/right sides. I don't see a subframe. Might try triumph ant or just wait.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't think you need or want a newer tank. New tank == new mounting position and new fuel pump.

I have seen 1050 tails plastic on ebay in the last few week it comes as left/right sides. I don't see a subframe. Might try triumph ant or just wait.
Im on an Italian Triumph forum. They tend to be crazy about S3's in Italy. Ive seen quite a few conversions. It may be a problem if you dont understand Italian. Fortunately I do, but this is the Post your pics forum, so just click through and you will see some.

http://www.forumtriumphchepassione.com/forum/le-vostre-moto/

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
The subframe is different between the 97-01 and 02-04 - and again for 05+. Different mounting points for the tails.
Then consider that the 97-01 forward mount screws into the tank.
The 02+ is a multi-part tail (separate sides and rear piece) as well as having two side flashings that also bolt onto the tank. The tank mounting holes for the 97-01 tail & the 02+ side flashings are in different places. You can't swap the tanks simply, mountings are completely different at the front and you have the coolant stuff under the front section.
Then you'll need new seats for the later subframe/tail fairing also - again different between the models.
Nothing you do will be completely plug & play but if you are creative you may be able to work around these issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Decosse - Thanks for the clarification on changes by model year and component...this dramatically simplifies my search for the components I will need to do the swap.

I've heard some people say that the 05+ pillion seat is horrible for passengers (too thin?) so I suppose my best plan is to try to get the sides/back from and 02-04 and 'build' a tail section...I presume I'll need to plastic weld and redrill holes where the front of the tail mounts up to the tank and can hopefully keep my current tank so I don't need to worry about fuel pump issues.

I found a 1050 tail just the other day and if I can get it for the right price, I may just try modifying that since it seems like I'll need to do some work to make this come together no matter what I use as a starting point.

Thanks again, all, and I'll be sure to provide pics and insights as I gather the parts and work to completion on this.

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts