Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys
Here are a few pictures of my ride to Vegas. More to follow.
We started in Nevada city and headed up to the south shore of Tahoe where we crossed over the pass to highway 395 towards Bodie.
That was our first stop for food. (Walker) It was a stunning ride over the pass. The weather was perfect. I had a smile all the way.
My buddys rode the first 300 miles to Bishop with me. Ken had the Harley nightster and Bruce the Bonneville.
I was wearing full gear and was curious to see how comfortable it was going to be, especially through Death Valley.
I bought a new lid, Arai phil read design flippin awsome looking!! It hurt a little on the way down but after the first 300 mile it was getting better.
I also bought new body armour by forcefeild in the UK. It was very comfortable an added benefit which i did not expect it helped support my upper body so riding the thruxton with the clip ons was a lot more comfy. I never had an issue before with the ride position but it made it even better.
I will get round to posting more in the next day or so.
This is a small sample of pix to come.
I also have video of the ride, Death Valley and all. I will post that on You Tube when i get a moment.
Cheers John:)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok
Here are a few more.
We got to Bodie, a ghost town off Hwy395 and had a good look around. It was fascinating to see how the place is so well preserved. Well worth the visit. The ride further south was fantastic.
We camped under the stars outside Bishop, Arriving around 8pm. I could not sleep to well, the little critters kept me up all night. But it was beautiful out there. The morning sunrise was great.
We had breakfast in town. That's when i said my goodbyes to my buddys and headed on my own, south to Death Valley.
It was starting to get warm.
Cheers John.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice ride!

How many miles from Tahoe to Vegas?
Hi
It's around 650miles from Grass Valley (Near Tahoe) To Las Vegas,
The Nevada Route, Hwy 95 is a little shorter and a straight shot but is not as nice as hwy395.
I'll post more pix tonight after work.
Cheers John.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here are some shots of Death Valley. As i came down into the valley floor i could feel the temps going up and up. At the bottom it was around 105 to 110. My buddy Bruce told me i should fill up at stove pipe wells, a small group of shops/ gas station etc right in the middle.
Well i got there around 12.30pm and the pumps were out of action. Luckily i had enough to get to Furnace creek around 25 miles up the road.
There were plenty of people out there this time of year so i was not to worried. I was surprisingly comfortable with all the gear i had on. Yes i was sweating quite a bit, but as long as i kept drinking lots of water i felt fine.
I did notice however that certain Harley riders are not up for the friendly wave. Everyone else, Sport bike riders, Beemers, Dirt bikes, Some cruisers including some Harleys. But not the ape hanging dark glasses, bandana guys. Oh no that would not be cool.
They were all of to laughlin Nevada for a group love in.
Oh well each to his own.
Cheers John.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's nice to see that gear can be stowed on the back of the thruxton. It adds a little more confidence to my thinking about taking a trip up the James Bay Road to Radisson, Quebec. Most articles about peoples rides up there are usually on BMW GS Adventures.

I've been up there about four time fishing but I've always wanted to ride it ever since I've been up there. Anyways, it'll be many years until I embark on it. Like I said it's just a dream I've been becoming more and more obsessed with.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's nice to see that gear can be stowed on the back of the thruxton. It adds a little more confidence to my thinking about taking a trip up the James Bay Road to Radisson, Quebec. Most articles about peoples rides up there are usually on BMW GS Adventures.

I've been up there about four time fishing but I've always wanted to ride it ever since I've been up there. Anyways, it'll be many years until I embark on it. Like I said it's just a dream I've been becoming more and more obsessed with.
Hi Randy
Yes i stowed a fair bit on the back with the help of a removable sissy bar. Check out thie thread i started about it.

http://www.triumphrat.net/club-cafe/110572-for-those-of-us-with-girlfriends-and-wives.html

The Thruxton performed great on a long ride i had no real complaints. I plan on many more this year. This time though i'm heading for somewere a little cooler.
Cheers John

·
Registered
209 Posts
John,

Really good pictures. Your stomping grounds look really biker friendly due to the lack of traffic and I bet riding through the mountains has got to be a great experience.

How was your gas milage?

Cheers,

Randy

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Great ride, great pics! One of my favorite rides is from Reno down 395 thru Bridgeport, Bodie, Lee Vining, and the Tioga Pass. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hi
Yes riding through the mountains on hwy 395 brings a big smile to your face.
Gas milage wise i was getting around 42 to 48 depending how i rode.
I was pretty steady at around 70mph up to 80 mph. Just outside of Death Valley I got it up to a ton, but i'm not really into speed that much.
On the ride back my milage was a lot worse due to some very very high winds on Hwy 95. They freaked me out a bit and made me feel very small out there. Especially with the big rigs flying by.
These pix show when i hit Nevada and Vegas. This was around the time i called my cell phone to check messages and found out my Father had past away in the UK.
That of course put a real damper on the trip.
I was about to come into heavy Vegas traffic and going from the wide open with no cars around to that, i had to have my wits about me. It was not easy concentrating with what i had just heard.

The other picture shows a visit to Hoover dam on the Arizona side. Amazing bit of engineering well worth the visit.

Well with that, I spent one more day in Veags and cut the trip short to make my way back home, so i could go to the funeral back in the UK.
Cheers John.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hi
Here are some shots i took on my home to Grass Valley.
I took hwy 95 through Nevada not as scenic a ride as hwy 395 but still fun in its own way. The winds through there were very high and my mileage went way down. It was more tireing too because of trying to stay out of the way of all the big rigs.
The shot at the gas station was taken by some friendly Harley rider i met there. They were busy enjoying a few beers. After filling up there i got two miles out of town and the bike cut out totally. To say i was freaking is an understatement.
But i loosened the gas cap and realized i over filled it and drowned out the breather. After loosening the cap it ran fine. I stayed that night at a small Military base town called Hawthorne. A little strange but more life to it than Tonapah.
I hit a little rain and snow when i got up to the Tahoe area but nothing to bad.
I stopped at Starbucks to warm up and made my way home.
The whole trip was 1350 miles. The bike ran great. The ride position wasn't a problem for me wrists, back and all. I can't wait for another trip. Maybe the coast next time i think i'm going to head for the cool sea air:)
Cheers John

·
Registered
404 Posts
Awesome pics

Hi John
Great pics there - thanks for sharing! So much more variety in riding conditions out west than down here in S FL!! Did you notice any appreciable drop off in power at altitude?
All the best & glad to see you back
Steve

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi John
Great pics there - thanks for sharing! So much more variety in riding conditions out west than down here in S FL!! Did you notice any appreciable drop off in power at altitude?
All the best & glad to see you back
Steve
Hi Steve
I was expecting some drop off. But I can't say i noticed any drop in power at those altitudes. What i did have happen when i left the gas station at a lonely place in Nevada called Lathrope wells. I gased up filling it right up. After about two miles the bike cut out.That was due to a soaked breather apparently.What is funny it still cuts out from time to time now. I have to loosen the cap and it's fine?
Overall i was very happy with the way it went comfort wise.
I would not take hwy 95 again though. Way to windy and straight.
I hope to head up to Oregon and Washington this year sometime.
Hope your doing well Steve.
Take care John.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts