Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, The needle on my tach broke off on my 67 bonny.Does anyone know where I can buy a new needle? Is this something I can replace myself? Looked at the tach rebuilders and they want $185.
Anyone have any experience with the emgo replacement tachs? They sell for $80.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
On a stock Smith's tachometer (magnetic, not chronometric) the chrome bezel is crimped on and a special tool is required to remove and replace it. I'd send it to the experts and have them do it up right. It's worth the money.

The "village idiot" speaks from experience: Jim

·
Premium Member
Denver, CO United States of America
7,500 Posts
Best to send it to Nisonger and get it rebuilt...I would suggest sending both clocks/gauges and get them done at the same time. Nothing better than having newly rebuilt and calibrated instruments...just sayin.

Bob

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
The reason they charge so much is regardless of the condition of the gauge, they have to go completely thru it and make sure it is in tip top condition, because they have to guarantee it when they are thru. So even if you sent them a NOS gauge, they would still go thru it. Only exception might be if they just rebuilt it for you and something like the needle breaking took place. I would guess they would replace it for free or a small nominal charge since they know the recent history of the instrument.

regards,
Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts