Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't dug into the bike yet,
but thought I'd post for your help, guesses, and speculations. I recently assembled a bike that hasn't been on the road for a year, so I must claim responsibility for my hookup & hiccup.

While I remove things to correctly align my tubes/triple-trees/front-end, I will have access to my tach's wiring. Though I believe I hooked the wires up under the tach' correctly (I'll check the picture I took a year ago and compare it to how I've hooked things up), I'm thinking there must be a wire in the headlamp housing I missed. I've got power going to the bulbs that illuminate the tach, but the needle is not responding. Any ideas, hints, or advise?

In addition, my engine seems to have a hiccup. It doesn't occur often nor with any kind of pattern. I think I even heard a *snap* sound seemingly come from the right side of the engine when the engine kinda cuts out for a hot second.

Soooo......

1) Got any step by step instructions to align my tubes/front-end?

2) Assuming I've wired the exterior wires to the tach correctly, what may I have missed elsewhere?

3) Anybody understand/know what I trying to describe about a snapping sound (electrical?) when the engine cuts out for a milli-second?

Can anybody offer me words of advise, or step-by-step instructions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wow, let me go out on a limb. The tach gets a signal from the igniter. Perhaps the problem is there? The tach would get lights just fine but with no signal from the igniter, would not work. If the igniter was comprimised, it could also cause your hiccup. Just guessing here, please don't invest money on parts on my advise alone.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmm, "igniter"!?!

as in my after-market 'ProCom' igniter that allowed me to spin my (former) BonnieBlack's engine up (it had no tach)???
:( :???:

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-11-16 15:24 ]

·
Registered
258 Posts
Igniter pickup is under your right engine cover, but it is in oil, so the snap did not come from there. Could be jumping from your right coil high tension lead-there's enough voltage there to do it and it would sound like it came from the right side of the engine.

·
Registered
264 Posts
with most tachs, the wire that feeds the tach is the primary lead. if that wire is off or severed someplace it could be grounding on the metal nearby and that would kill the engine if it stayed that way

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
I copied the installation directions for the Triumph tach for another member, and can e-mail them to you if that would help--not sure if it would for your situation.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.....

I just tore everything off the front-end of the bike to do a better job of tightening things IN ORDER. I think I see how things can be tightened prematurely to cause some serious alignment problems, and mine were pretty serious!

When I had everything off, I inspected the wiring to the back of my tach'. I found that I had reversed two of the wires, and in so doing discovered some loose bolts holding the instrument cluster in place. I think it's not in one's best interest to assemble things without enough rest.... and I was REALLY burning the candle.....

I'm not sure, but it looked like the boots to my coil were a little loose. I firmed them into place and think it's too good to be true that may have been my *snap*ing problem.

Tach is taken care of (I hope),
gonna buy new bolts to mount the fender to the tubes, and try to align the tubes (w/axle in place) BEFORE tightening the front fender down,
and it looks like a new grade 8 bolt screwed into the place with little problems.... so my threads might not be messed up (too badly).

I think what I've learned from this is that 'sequence' is VERY important when assembling and tightening.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey,Pat,maybe that snap sound is unburned air/fuel being forced out the carb as the cylinder compresses.If it misfires,it gets forced back out the carb.On my bike when I get a misfire it "pops" out one of my K&N's and even makes my side cover hop.Was the bike still misfiring after completely warming up?
Long story short: slap that baby together and lets ride,beotch!
But leave your mohawk helmet home.Wearing it on your FZ is one thing,but the bonnie don't deserve it.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Danm..... busted with the mohawk again.

(Jason, I haven't actually ridden it long enough for it to warm up yet. Say, have you had any experience with those quick disconnect pins used on some show cars and/or airplains? I wanna figure out a clean way to mount that cowl so I can remove it and gain access to my bottle of Jack Daniels.... uuuh, I mean my tire repair & first aid kit.)

Why don't people wanna ride with me when I'm wearing a bright Yellow mohawk on my helmet, and a Paul Smith designer kilt with my heliotrope thong?!? I'm thinking I look pretty DASHING!

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-11-17 07:08 ]

·
Registered
316 Posts
You can wear the mohawk helmet,and we can still say we rode together....as long as keeping a 1/4 buffer between each other counts as riding together.
And thanks for putting an image of you in a kilt and thong in my head.
I've never installed those pins before,but I would imagine that there would be some way to make it work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts