Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a great deal on a 2015 America w/643 miles. This is my first Triumph and now I'm wanting to put in a Tach. Apparently there is a global shortage of said tach. I'd love to find an OEM part that accepts the wiring harness that is dying to be plugged into something.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Fast Eddy Sports has the Drag Specialties DS Mini 8000 Tachometer which is supposed to fit in the console like the OEM part. I don't believe that OEM tachometers have been available for several years now.

No affiliation with Ed, but I'm a happy customer. You can contact him and I'm sure he'll be happy to answer questions about the tach.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The aftermarket tach kit was dead many years ago -- those all have an "A" prefix. However, Triumph replacement and service parts have a "T" prefix (everything from bolts, to oil filters, to turn signal lenses). The tachometer, being a standard part on Speedmaster bikes, continued on for several years after the "A" PN died while the bikes were being built. You can find more information on that with a search.

The old, long-since-defunct accessory kit part number was A9828006. The non-kit, non-accessory replacement part number was T2503855. I have no idea if that part is still available, but I very much doubt it. It used to retail for $189.

I couldn't ever justify $200 for a tach. The bike already pretty much tells me when to shift and I'm not in any races.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Correct, the “A” accessory is long finished but the “T” parts are still available (through Triumph Australia at least). The cost will make your eyes water though - $558 here, and just for the gauge itself, not the conversion kit which includes a mini harness and some other bits. Maybe try some wreckers……

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I used an aftermarket tach I found on the internet. MUCH cheaper. Had to do my own wiring. No big deal. It fit in the factory location.
...J.D.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The aftermarket tach kit was dead many years ago -- those all have an "A" prefix. However, Triumph replacement and service parts have a "T" prefix (everything from bolts, to oil filters, to turn signal lenses). The tachometer, being a standard part on Speedmaster bikes, continued on for several years after the "A" PN died while the bikes were being built. You can find more information on that with a search.

The old, long-since-defunct accessory kit part number was A9828006. The non-kit, non-accessory replacement part number was T2503855. I have no idea if that part is still available, but I very much doubt it. It used to retail for $189.

I couldn't ever justify $200 for a tach. The bike already pretty much tells me when to shift and I'm not in any races.
After riding Harleys for years I can't hear this bike. New pipes are next.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fast Eddy Sports has the Drag Specialties DS Mini 8000 Tachometer which is supposed to fit in the console like the OEM part. I don't believe that OEM tachometers have been available for several years now.

No affiliation with Ed, but I'm a happy customer. You can contact him and I'm sure he'll be happy to answer questions about the tach.
Thanks, I think I will go with the DS Mini 8000. It says it is 2.4" and I measured the hole at 2.7". Am I overthinking this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
^ Maybe shoot Eddy Hofstrand an email at [email protected] or call him at (218) 355-0077. He's a big supporter of this site, and rides a Triumph America, so he'll know for sure.
I communicated with Eddie about a week ago. He said he had an accident on his bike so it may take a while to sort through the tach issue. I'm looking for a tach for my America as well.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
^ Oh no! Sending good thoughts Eddy's way. He's a good guy and has helped me keep my Triumphs running well for many years now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I think I will go with the DS Mini 8000. It says it is 2.4" and I measured the hole at 2.7". Am I overthinking this?
The ds mini fit great but now I can't find which wire is coming from the coil. None of them activated the tachometer. It spins up and lights up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts