Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have my speedo and tach rebuilt on my 67 bonny. Which company would be better, Nissongers or Joel Levine?They have a small price difference but how about the final looks?

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I've never heard a bad word about Nisonger's and the were the authorized repair facility for Smiths. Well, I did hear one bad report, but it was more to theirr attitude and I suspect it was an dated previous experience.

They are relatively close to you so you could actually drive over, see their work, talk to them and if happy, hand them your two gauges. I'm might do the same with a rebuilt speedo from my '66 that died after 1700 miles. I got the bike with the rebuilt speedo so I'm curious if they did the work and what they might say when I bring it to them.

From a cosmetic POV, I would expect the instrument to look as good as you want. Faces can be refinished. Bezels are normally replaced with new and painting the can is easy. You could even paint the can on an assembled gauge with some careful masking.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
386 Posts
What did you go with?

I was thinking go going with Lavine. I bought a aftermarket speedo for 60. It works great but just doesnt look the part. Ive got old clocks that need reworked but saving the bacon for it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I went with Nisonger's for the restoration of my '69 Bonnie project's clocks. The gauges needed serious reconditioning, both inside and out. The returned units appear to be absolutely perfect. As new.

Great service from Nisonger's and a quicker turnaround than I was promised. Highly recommended.

Ken

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
In my opinion Nisonger is the only way to go...depending on all you ask them to do it can be a tad pricey but you get what you pay for and they stand behind their work with a one year warranty. I am not familiar with the other name mentioned, but I have seen gauges rebuilt elsewhere for less, and as the saying goes..."you get what you pay for." I had both my gauges for my 68 T120R rebuilt and reconditioned by Nisonger and they look and work like new...

Bob

·
Registered
141 Posts
I bought a speedo & tacho for my 69TR6 from an Ebay seller "aprivatepeace503" in Portland Or. The instruments are very well finished cost & postage (out to Australia) was very reasonable. He sells repaired gauges, or repairs your supplied instruments.

cheers Mal

·
Registered
316 Posts
I bought a speedo & tacho for my 69TR6 from an Ebay seller "aprivatepeace503" in Portland Or. The instruments are very well finished cost & postage (out to Australia) was very reasonable. He sells repaired gauges, or repairs your supplied instruments.

cheers Mal
i also bought a set of gauges from the same seller for my 78. They look fantastic and work flawlessly.

m

·
Registered
904 Posts
I bought a speedo & tacho for my 69TR6 from an Ebay seller "aprivatepeace503" in Portland Or.
If you go this route keep his address; after he agreed to look at the speedo I bought from him (that failed after 3 miles) under 'warranty' he never responded to emails asking for a shipping address.

I sent it and my eBay tach to Joel Levine and they now look spectacular and factory new. Too bad I only got 16 miles on them before my errant ways toasted the pistons...

·
Registered
495 Posts
Nisonger. Full stop. It's not as though a proper restoration is particularly expensive in the context of a classic Triumph project, so why go with a Brand X service?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts