Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got an ‘08 plain “white bread” bonnie with no tach. I’d love to add one and have seen pictures of add-ons that tuck neatly into the indented section of the instrument panel (where a tach should have been!). They’re quite small, maybe 2.5 inches diameter which would be fine. Any source and installation recommendations out there?
Thanks to you all for fun posts and advice I love reading.

·
Super Moderator
2,790 Posts
While I cannot give you any direct info. on adding the tach you are stating. Do a little searching and I am sure you will find several write-ups on that exact mod. Many have done it.
I will say that if I was going to do it I would probably buy the T100 gauge mount plate and a OEM tach and add it over an aftermarket tach. But either way I certainly would want a tach on any street bike I have.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just replaced mine. $50 “Harley” tach from ebay 8000 rpm, for wasted spark ignition, shared by the Bonnie and Harleys. either fab up a bracket from aluminum and attach it to the right side bottom of the bar risers, or drill a hole in the bottom of the instrument cluster and bolt the bracket that comes with the tach there. Or anything, really, that will hold it up in the right place. The bracket is the hardest part. I stole power from the “parking” light, and picked up the ignition signal inside the headlight; just followed the wiring diagram in Haynes. its one of the many, many black wires. Aside from the bracket, took about a half hour. Photo in “what did you do...” thread. I’m told they’re only good for a couple of years, but for $50 I don’t care.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I’ve got an ‘08 plain “white bread” bonnie with no tach. I’d love to add one and have seen pictures of add-ons that tuck neatly into the indented section of the instrument panel (where a tach should have been!). They’re quite small, maybe 2.5 inches diameter which would be fine. Any source and installation recommendations out there?
Thanks to you all for fun posts and advice I love reading.
There is a tachometer kit... you need to figure out EXACTLY which one you need and hunt one up.

click here for factory tach kit

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
314 Posts
You are spot on. You bought the bracket and it comes with a free tach and frankly any machine shop can make you that bracket for next to nothing. While you are at it, if you Bonnevile is a mag, buy their chrome front fender. Who would want plastic anything if you could replace it with chrome or polished aluminum. Get your stuff all shipped at once. If I had to do it again I would install the tach using stainless threaded rod with loc tite medium duty thread locker. You will know what I mean when the time comes. The install was enjoyable. Very simple.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
i put the factory kit on my 2012 mag wheeler, plug + play as the proper connections are already on your bike, not the cheapest but it just looks RIGHT!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
How right can any Bonneville look? The look has been state of the art since 1967. The best thing about them coming stripped down with some oem parts that are rubbish is that you can build it the way you wish they did. When you cannot ride all winter you savor everything that is not chrome so you can put chrome stuff on. i.e. the faux carb tops start rusting before the bike is assembled. The silencers are a joke. The headlight ears are ridiculous. If you like oem day 2 add ons so be it. Don't say something else does not look right. Admittedly if I show at Pebble Beach I may get a deduct.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts