Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've a trickle charger on my t509 S3 so I thought I'd start her today and take her out for a spin (it's about 40 degrees F).

I discovered as soon as I hit the starter button the headlights just about go out and I get a very, very slow attempt at turning over the engine.

I decided to check my battery voltage and it was at 12.6 volts.

When I attempt to turn the motor over it drops to about 3 volts.

When I put the bike away towards the end of fall it was running great, no issues at all that I know of.

We have had some pretty cold days here - close to zero degrees F.

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks In Advance!!!

Glenn

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
Sounds like your battery is past its best
The off-load voltage is no indication of its capability but clearly when load is applied it sags incredibly.

You probably also get a significant sag with just the lights on, let alone the starter

Incidentally your lights don't 'dim' when you hit the starter - they go out completely - even with fully charged battery. There is a starter cut relay for the lights so all the power is available for starting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response...and for bumming me out. :)

I just bought the battery (Sears Diehard) just a few months ago. :(

I'll bring it back and have them test/replace it.

I do appreciate the the help!!

Thanks Again,

Glenn

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
I just bought the battery (Sears Diehard) just a few months ago. :...
Well at least should be covered by warranty

But given that your battery is fairly new ....
Are you sure the trickle charger was actually working?
Has it been connected all the time the bike was idle, or did you just connect it recently?
If the battery was already discharged when the trickle charger was connected that would not recharge it - trickle chargers won't recharge a discharged battery - only keep it peaked.
If you have a regular charger, try re-charging it to see if it will recover to 'normal' capability.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Purchased new trickle charger yesterday - Just in case - still same issue.

Lights turn on, fuel primes (even tried horn - nice and strong) - As soon as I attempt to start her it gives one weak turn and "won't do no more".

I've had the trickle charger on since fall - But I did let the battery go dead once as I forgot to put it back on after a ride.
It did start up after that though!

I brought the battery to AutoZone and they told me that if my trickle charger wouldn't bring the battery back then there was no way there's would.

I'm on the horn with Sears regarding a swapout.

Hey, I thank you again for the help!!

Glenn

·
Registered
85 Posts
FWIW I am just up the road from you in SE Arapahoe County and my R1 and SV650 both start right up even after the cold days we have had. Hell, the old FZ600 even starts.

My Speed Triple wouldn't start......oh wait.....there is no wiring harness in that one right now;)

I do start and even ride the bikes about weekly though. It was in the 50s today so get out and ride it!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
.....If the battery was already discharged when the trickle charger was connected that would not recharge it - trickle chargers won't recharge a discharged battery - only keep it peaked. .....
.... I've had the trickle charger on since fall - But I did let the battery go dead once as I forgot to put it back on after a ride.....

.... I brought the battery to AutoZone and they told me that if my trickle charger wouldn't bring the battery back then there was no way there's would....
That last part is absolutely not valid - but main thing is that your warranty is covering anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Set up, charged and installed new battery and she started right up!

What a great day to skip outta work early and take her for a spin!!

Cole - I'll be catching up with you soon!

G.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts