Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I've had my '97 T509 for just about a year and have noticed a very consistent clutch related issue.

I drive about 80 miles a day (round trip) to work - All Highway driving and I leave at times when there is very little traffic either way.

On days at around 80 degrees (Fahrenheit) or above I notice when I get off the highway, when I approach a stop sign/light and I pull in my clutch it feels like the bike wants to continue to LIGHTLY lunge forward and a "clack, clack, clack" (corresponding with the light lunging) noise can be heard (kind of like the chain slapping the swing arm....But my chain tension is GOOD).
I should also add that it also becomes a real b!tch to shift into any gear (or neutral) after the bikes runs a while and heats up.

When I got the bike I changed the oil to the recommended Mobil1 4T 10w40 - Upon experiencing the issue originally I moved to Amsoil 20w50 and thought I fixed the issue but it's also possible the issue resolved itself due to traveling during the cooler nights <?>

Right now I am running Silkolene Pro 4 15w50.

Am I overthinking this? Should I be looking to simply adjust my clutch cable or am I possibly looking at a new clutch....or....?

I'm kind of new at wrenching my own bike but have no fear of it...Just don't know where to start with regards to properly troubleshooting this particular issue.

I greatly appreciate any words of wisdom!

Glenn

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
First the good news - clutch is not slipping!

Problems associated with slipping clutch include the oil and of course worn clutch plates: if it is still grabbing, that means that it is purely mechanical issue in that the pressure plate is not fully lifted.

That undoubtedly translates to the cable being improperly adjusted - too much slack - such that the actuator lever does not travel the required distance to fully lift the clutch.

You should have only 0.4-0.8mm of free play on the lever before it starts to tension the cable - more than this will make less extension available for the clutch actuation.

Another problem that would manifest itself similarly would be when using adjustable levers (like Pazzos) and they are set on the position closest to the bar - this means that you get much shorter travel before the bar limits its extension on the lever and cable. Simnple solution there is to open it up to a wider position.
Or something mechanical - the type of grip - or a bar-end mirror - is similarly impeding the full extension of the lever all the way to the bar - or the lever is bent causing similar lack of span.

When its hot the problem is fundamentally exacerbated because the clutch will be a little tighter due to thermal expansion of all the plates.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DEcosse!

Any idea where the heat association comes in?

Is it as simple as the oil thinning out and therefor not able to compensate for the mechanical failure....or am I way off?

·
Registered
181 Posts
heat expansion

Friction Is how your clutch works. It causes heat, witch causes metals to expand. There is really nothing you can do about the heat expansion. .001in here, .001in there across the clutch pack stacks up really quickly.
(Thats .02 for you metric guys) DEcosse is right, look at your cable that has probably stretched quite a bit. Maybe even just .01in is enough to cause drag. Could be as much as a half turn adjustment on your cable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
P.Hill509,

Thank You Very Much for that explanation!

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
... Any idea where the heat association comes in? ...
Answered that in my initial reply

...When its hot the problem is fundamentally exacerbated because the clutch will be a little tighter due to thermal expansion of all the plates.
... expanded upon (no pun intended) by P.Hill509

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry DEcosse - I completely missed that last paragraph.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts