Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Hope someone can help with info on the following for speed triple
I just got both front fork seals and dust covers replaced on my 1998 T509 as the right hand side was weeping quite a bit
I handed the bike in to local triumph dealer as I do not have garage equipment to remove front end myself
After getting the bike back from the Triumph dealer there were two things that seemd odd.
First off the bike seemed lower at the front.. even the amount of travel seems much shorter than before, like too short
Checked a few older pictures before the fix and there does seem a real difference. When the bike is sitting unladen there is about 70mm of travel from top of the seal to the underside of the yoke. the attached pic even shows the dirt line where its bottoming out: like 15mm below the yoke
the older pics show the unladen travel about 110mm, might tat be due to the leaking seal before?
I called the dealer and asked and they said they never changed the settings from what they were when I handed it in, so there should be no difference
I have never modified the suspension settings ever so cannot say what they were set to, but it looks and feels different from before. I can set to standard factory settings to see if ther is a difference.

Second issue, the outer dust seals are not the same, they are not tapered up from the outer edge to the actual fork, they have a more square profile. That may not be an issue but they are not the same as the original ones and not the same as the ones on my zx6r either which also taper. Could they have put on seals for upside down forks by mistake? does it make any difference ? I wonderd if there is more chance water and dirt can easier stick there on the little 'ledge'
These guys are main Triumph dealers: I expected a little better result especially considering the cost of the job!
Thanks for any tips...
Ali

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hi..now even more confused than earler ! can anyone check their settings just to compare?
Checked the preload settings as it came back from repair and they were about 11 turns out from full screwed in position.
The owners manual suggests Standard is position 5 : " Number of adjuster turns out from the fully screwed in positon ".
But this amounts to just one and a bit adjuster lines visible, it would have been about 4 or five visible when I got it back from the shop.
So the manual suggests 5 full rotations out from the fully in, but does that actually mean five visible graduation lines?
Nothing I have done seems to alter the actual travel in any case , its the same as before
thanks if anyone can reply!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts