Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have one on their S3? My bike had the hardware to mount one already installed when I bought it, but no stabilizer.

I was hoping somone post the dimensions of the unit so I could order a generic one. Shindy seems to have a large selection.

Yes, the mounting hardware makes me want one, but the steering does get a little "exciting" when I am out on the back roads.

Any help will be appreciated.

Ditto

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

The steering dampers provided by Sprint Damper and Toby for the T300, in their kits, are 160mm.

I would be very careful to checkout using a later S3 model's damper as I believe that the T509 was only 140mm, and if fitted, I assume could potentially be dangerous?

You can see the Sprint side S3 mounted damper and fittings on this link:
http://www.sprintdampers.co.uk/admin/images/main/373a.jpg

Toby also use the same side fixing method, but with a plate mounting on top of the cylinder - while Sprint's mounting is billet.

Hope this helps?
Geoff

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies - I will check into Sprint dampers to make sure I am on the right track.

Geoff - Do you knowwhat the stroke is? I cannot find reference to the t3s on Sprint's website.

Thank you

Ditto

·
Banned
141 Posts
i can see were a to short of strock could cause some problems. my local dealer has gave a good bit of bad info.. though they have only been selling triumphs for a few months.
Hi,

The steering dampers provided by Sprint Damper and Toby for the T300, in their kits, are 160mm.

I would be very careful to checkout using a later S3 model's damper as I believe that the T509 was only 140mm, and if fitted, I assume could potentially be dangerous?

You can see the Sprint side S3 mounted damper and fittings on this link:
http://www.sprintdampers.co.uk/admin/images/main/373a.jpg

Toby also use the same side fixing method, but with a plate mounting on top of the cylinder - while Sprint's mounting is billet.

Hope this helps?
Geoff

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi Ditto,

It is "sad", but I do have some more info. Toby appears to be 450mm length, 160mm stroke, 8mm diameter. The Sprint appears to be 474mm length, 248mm body, 164mm stroke. Sorry the figures are not quite like for like, but do have the stoke sizes.

Fyi, I have the Toby (Daytona) kit, as seen through 'dphex's link, but I have also bought a nice alloy billet Sprint mount.

What fittings do you have on your S3 (photos?)?

Ciao,
Geoff

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geoff,

I will post a pic when I get a chance, but the Sprint setup looks pretty close, if not identical.

Ditto

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Motley. I emailed them since I could not find reference to the t3s on their website. Hopefully they get back to me.

I did find a Shindy that matches the specs given by Geoff - Thanks Geoff.

I will update this when I know more.

Ditto

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First - they look cool.

Functionally - they eliminate or minimize head shake, and hopefully minimize the threat of tank slappers.

Ditto

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Not that I know...but as mentioned it looks good, but also as I've dropped the forks and raised the rear (makes the bike more agile) and ride mostly on bumpy country lanes it can get a bit frisky..! and to be honest if you get to the stage where you have to experience a slapper then it's probably too late ? So I've fitted a damper for cosmetic and peace of mind reasons ;-)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also spend a lot of time on uneven, bumpy, off-camber back roads, and have had my share of "exciting" moments, where, upon return to pavement, the front end starts to undulate, ushering back the anxious, "I hope this doesn't hurt" feeling in my chest.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have had a little head shake now and then when exiting a corner.
I stay hard on the gas, keep the front end light and it smooths out. Its kinda fun in a bizarre way.

Snapping off the throttle however, could produce an entirely different and totally undesirable result...

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I have only experienced a head shake one time. It didn't last long and I was going entirely too fast for the conditions. Any conditions for that matter, IIRC I was doing about 150 indicated and was cresting a hill on a not near smooth enough road. Not one of my brighter moments. The bike cleared the head shake as quickly as it started. It took longer to get the sphincter to unclench.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are certain places along the route to my job where I encounter head shake pretty regularly. The bike is tip-top mechanically. I am hoping the fork brace I just received will clear that up.

That being said, I want to put a damper on it, as well. Overkill? Maybe. But the mounting hardware is already there, and I do like the way they look.

Ditto

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sprint Dampers just replied and gave me their prices. They are quite reasonable compared to other applications I have found.

85 GBP for 160mm stabilizer alone
116 GBP for stabilizer and mounting kit

Ditto

1 - 20 of 28 Posts