Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 198 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Doesn't the trident have a 1/2" MC rather than a 5/8" because they only have the 2 pots? I'm sure i've heard of folks swapping them over for the MC that comes with the Tokico 6-pots, but I may be completely wrong - it wouldn't be the first time :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Bobbo: The Trident came with a 14mm front brake MC, while the 4- and 6-pot bikes had a 5/8" front brake MC. What cracKness was asking about, though, was the clutch MC. To the best of my knowledge, the clutch MC was the same for all the hydraulic clutch bikes. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

Cheers,
-Kit

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Does anyone know of an interchangeable "double bubble" screen for a sprint exec... no one seems to make one so i was wondering whether an alternative bikes screen would fit?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Some times ago I have read something for interchangeable part for Mikuni carburetors on my Sprint 900. Did anybody knows where I may find needle with piston and piston body (and how much will cost)?
Before one week I replace my air filter box and check the carbs. There was a little worn out of the plastic material of the piston and his body. So after time I will need to replace them. Any help will be useful. :hammer:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Okay, so there are many Kawasaki bikes that use Nissin master cylinders that are very similar to ours. It looks like those bikes use Kawasaki piston assemblies 43020-1054 for the brake & 43020-1055 for the clutch. K&L does rebuild kits for them. The clutch MC rebuild kit is K&L part #32-1095 & the brake MC kit is 32-1096. They're around $25-30.

I haven't the slightest idea whether these will work with our bikes. It seems likely, but there might be some difference of which I am not aware.

Let us know if you try this out...

-Kit

·
Registered
328 Posts
Best swap-out I've done is using the side-stand from a Trophy on my Sprint. Although it doesn't occupy exactly the same space on the bike , it bolts right on (mounting lug and all) and it's a whole lot more rigid and less prone to bending due to fatigue.
Also, I used the up/down position sidestand safety switch from a 1954 T110 Tiger and now the engine doesn't kill when I drop the tranny into first in cold weather because the switch-plunger is hanging-up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
how about stock jap front brake rotors for a 95 speed triple?? anyone out there know of makes models and years i need them bad but dont want to pay the small fortune triumh wants or ebc or galfer for that matter

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Turn signal / flasher / blinker / indicator relay:

My signals started functioning intermittently the other day, so I went to Pep Boys & got a Tridon Stant brand EP36 flasher for $11. That's about an 83% discount on the Triumph part. It was marked 31, 49, & 49a just like the original Hella, & plugged right into the harness. It did not snap into the original relay's retainer, though: It's just kicking around loose under the seat at the moment.

My signals work again & I'm very happy not to have had to dig into the harness...

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
181 Posts
For those interested in replacement windscreens, check out Rifle.com. The have a good line of higher screens for the Sprint. I've got one, and I use it during the winter. It provides a much better wind break than the short stocker, but it won't make yours into a Gold Wing. Available in three colors, and also available in higher custom sizes. By the way, a strip of Saeng wind moulding helps, too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
OK, here's an easy one: I need a new rubber cover for the shift lever on my '97 Sprint. Without having to go and prostrate myself on the parts altar of my local Temple of Triumph, is there another source for this little bitty part?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
gt1jimi: It's a pretty specific part, but something else might fit. If you find something, let us know.

-Kit

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This is from the Mods & Shop forum's interchangeable parts thread:

"Footpegs/footpeg rubbers are Yamaha items. RZ350, FZ600 etc - same across many models."

My right peg is a Yamaha part I got from eBay. It was identical to the Triumph part *except* that the pivot hole was too small. I believe the diameter of the hole on the Triumph part is 10mm, but a 3/8" drill bit is definitely close enough. I drilled the hole out with a 3/8" bit, put it on, & pretty much forgot about it 'til now.

Cheers,
-Kit

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I am in the process of refurbisng my speed triple after a 4 year layoff and am in need of a rear caliper i have tried the usual breakers etc but no luck as yet. I managed to get hold of one from a Trophy but it fouls the torque bar, only Daytona and Speed triple ones seem to fit. Any ideas re an intercahangable one I know the Ns400 uses a twin pot nissin of similar size ?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Sailfish makes a good case for using EBC FA188 pads if you've done the Tokico 6-pot upgrade. They're the same pads I'm using, & I can definitely vouch for their effectiveness!

On 2007-06-08 15:14, sailfish wrote:
Just an FYI to those who, like me, installed the 6 piston caliper upgrade and ran whatever pads were in them.

I just replaced the pads in the calipers with organic EBC FA188 pads. I noticed when removing the old pads that they were sintered copper. The part number confirms this, it ends in "HH". The entire part no. is Tokico TOYO 093F HH. My understanding is that the HH pads are not as rotor friendly as organic pads. My rotors look fine and still measure 4.699 mm (service limit 4.5 mm) but I would have replaced the HH pads sooner had I really known what I was running since pads are MUCH cheaper that rotors. I have 46,700 miles on the bike. Just something to think about.
Edit: Just dug this up as well:

Suzuki sells a rebuild kit for the Tokicos. It includes 2 seals for each piston & the seals that go between the halves of the caliper body. (Part number is 59300-33881. At $25 per caliper from Ron Ayers, that's about 1/3 of the price of the Kawasaki seals!!!!)

Cheers,
-Kit

[ This message was edited by: KitNYC on 2007-06-12 16:49 ]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Saw this over in the Mods & Shop forum:

On 2007-06-09 03:54, dynam wrote:
Hallo

the neutral switch in the thunderbird is really pricey , in Germany ~55-60€ . The switch from the yamaha xjr 1300 fits exactly and you pay only 18 €.

Bike British

dynam :cool:
Not sure about the other T3s, but the Trident uses the same switch as the T-bird.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is a pretty common topic in any bike forum.

Bike manufacturers generally buy in ancillary components; things like brakes, suspension, electrics, pumps, taps, caps, etc etc. So often the same component will appear on radically different bikes and different components will fit to the same bike. I think Suzuki probably fitted a fancy 6 pot caliper to a set of fairly standard forks which would fit standard 4 pot calipers.

I used to work in the bike trade, we had catalogues of components which listed cross references. I'm sure, with a bit of hunting around, you can find catalogues on the web which list 'part numbers'. If you want a brake lever; look up the relevant Triumph lever and see if any other bikes have the same lever. This only works for pattern parts though, I dont know of any genuine part cross reference, though they must exist.

Try
Staniforths: http://www.staniforths.com/stan_catalogue.htm
(Triumph brake levers are all the same and common to most ZX/ZXR kwaks)

Feridax, Tran-am, fowlers, B&C express and Bickers were other ones which are used in the trade. They're a very private bunch and most of the websites are useless.

I used to have a wonderful Tran-Am catalogue around which listed all sorts of stuff. I've never been able to work out what fuel tap triumph use though; I know it's common to some Yams and Kwaks...

·
Registered
13 Posts
About Legend starter motor

Good day for everyone.
I'm looking for a starter motor for my 1999 Legend, who died a week ago. Brushes were changed last October. But somehow, rotor cooper connectors are in bad state, so I think another brushes replacement will last a sigh .... My bike starter ( original ) was made by Taigene Co., Taiwan. I was adverticed here ( Madrid, Spain ), that nobody do repair it neither sell rotor itself ( I have to buy the complete starter set ). As it is sold at 671 euros ( a lot of money for such a part, is'n it ? ) I am considering either to buy a compatible used one in ebay or look further towards find a brand new one, because a second hand part maybe risky of not to be durable. Also, I've read that Taigene starters were not as good as Denso ones, but the first one was who was in place where I bought the bike ( new ); maybe to lower costs ( by Triumph ). Same as Gill coils ( I had to replace one recently ).
In sum, what do you think about the feasibility to buy a compatible new starter motor for my Legand ?
Thank you very much. Good tryps.

21 - 40 of 198 Posts