Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'd thought it might be a good idea to start listing the top 5 / 10 electrical faults that we can expect to see on these bikes as they all grow older!! Kit, maybe once this thread has played out it should become a sticky.

In no particular order, here’s my starter for 5, please add to this as you see fit, but could I suggest that we at least describe the: symptoms / probable causes / remedies.

Cutting Out (ignition failure)

Symptoms:
Bike starts OK from cold, runs for about 15 mins, then engine splutters and finally dies after the motor has warmed up (i.e. when the temp gauge has moved up from the two “normal” operational marks). When the engine has cooled down slightly, the bike will start again and run until it gets hot, when the cycle repeats.

Probable Cause:
The pick-up sensor coil (located at the end of the crankshaft at the bottom of the cam chain) is probably failing when hot. Although the resistance of the coil may be within the operational specs when measured (cold), it is probable that the resistance of the coil goes up (generating an open circuit) when the bike gets hot. This is why the motor may re-start again once the motor (and thus the coil) have cooled down again.

Remedy:
1. Check for poor electrical contact in the plug and connector from pick-up coil to wiring harness.
2. Change pick-up sensor coil.
(remembering to adjust the air gap (0.6mm – 0.8mm) correctly between the sensor face and the tabs on the timing disc after fitting).

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Good idea for a sticky.

Folks have also had similar symptoms as the pick-up"

a) broken vac line (closing/not opening petcock) Test: switch to prime.
b) broken petcock (stuck, bad. regardless of vac) Test: switch to prime?
c) tank vacuum (tank not venting) Test: open the cap

Probably others?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Won't Turn Over- Even with a fully charged battery

Possible Cause:
Starter Relay

On my 1996 S3, the relay would work when connected to a 12 volt source, but not when installed on the bike- the voltage drop through the harness was too much for the old piece. I replaced the relay and the problem was solved. That said, I had been trying to start the bike with an old and weak battery and I suspect that contributed to the relay's demise...

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
trying to start the bike with an old and weak battery and I suspect that contributed to the relay's demise...
Excellent point.

If there was one primary directive for T3 electrics and, I suspect any "I can't get it started" or "Bike's been sitting, what do I do?" issue I'd vote for

"Trying to start this bike with an old or weak battery will lead to its demise"

Too bad there's not a warning sticker on speedo like this instead of the goofy reg stickers we get today.

·
Registered
826 Posts
stuttering engine at low and midrange, occasionally at top end too.

may be a failing coil.
a failing coil on cylinder 1 (left hand cylinder as you sit on the bike) will also be accompanied by an erratic rev counter

cleaning of coil terminals sometimes has a positive effect, but eventual failure of all 3 coils is innevitable.
original coils are still available new, but my triumph dealer reccomended me the uprated gill coil,the part number is:T1290046

1 - 5 of 5 Posts