Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some relevance to out beloved T3s (I guess!)
I spent the day in the MSF Sportbike Riders Course with my '95 Daytona 1200.
It was the oldest bike there.
It was the heaviest bike there (except the instructor's Ninja 1400)
It was ridden by the oldest student ([email protected])
It was the best looking bike there (no modesty left in my family)

The course was well set up and run. Students were encouraged to get to know the limits of themselves and their machines while still emphasizing "personal leadership"
Average speeds out on the range were 25-35mph (and the kids were able to see you can have fun at those speeds).
The best part of self gratification was listening to the other students during the classroom portion about their prowess and then watching them as an old man on a heavy bike was able to negotiate the exercises better than most out on the range. I'm pretty mild out on the open road but was able to scrub all the contact patch of both front and rear wheels. All the while the big beast handled exceptionally well so don't let anyone tell you T3s are too top heavy, have no fickability, etc.
I'd recommend this course to anyone. Now if they would only build a track on Oahu again!

Keep the shiny side up,
Triton

PS Sorry no photos. I forgot and left my camera in the classroom and there was virtually no idle time to snap pics while doing the exercises.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Some relevance to out beloved T3s (I guess!)
I spent the day in the MSF Sportbike Riders Course with my '95 Daytona 1200.
Is this the course they are running for the military? I didn't think they have a similar course for civilians yet.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're correct. I had to look at the card they gave me and it does say Military Sportbike Riders Course. I didn't really think about it as I've never attended a MSF course outside the military.
I had been riding for years before going to the BRC and found it... OK. This one was enjoyable and educational. I wonder what one has to do to get MSF to start offering it to all?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I got to do the Lee Parks Total Control course this past Saturday from Moto-Fun. It focuses heavily on cornering technique with secondary topics of suspension setup and a rider's mental state. It's designed to follow the ERC so to speak.

Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I'll try to do this one in the spring/dfw class. Probably not on a Triumph tho :(

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That Lee Parks course sounds interesting! Ah, I have to take what I can get though because I've lived on islands for the last 15 years or so and not all the amenities are available!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts