Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am trying to change the fork springs on my 74 T150V and have run into a few problems. I have removed the mudguard (fender), wheel, and handle bars ok but after taking off the bottom half of the fork legs, but I cannot get further. I am trying not to remove the entire head assembly but cannot budge the locking nut on the bottom of the fork plunger nor the 'Allen' nut in the top of the fork leg (under the dust cap). Can anyone advise me - is it only the top nut I need to remove to drop the assemply out and access the springs? If so, what is the size of the Allen nut (smaller than 12mm, impirical maybe 7/16th?). Thank you kindly.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
You need a 7/16" allen key.Don't undo anything at the bottom of the forks.

You've got the cap nut off.The top plug with the 7/16" internal hexagon is the only thing you need to undo.You can then just pull the spring out.It will spring up and come out an inch or so when you undo the top plug.

I use a short piece of 7/16" hexagon bar and drive it with a 7/16" AF socket.

I always fully compress the fork before fully tightening the plug,to get the air out.Air pressure affects the spring rate in a non-proportional way,and it's not temperature constant either.
It's easy to compress the first spring;not so easy with both springs in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much Mr Pete. So its a 7/16 hex i need to get! On a related topic, would you know if the length of new spring item i require should be about 485mm - does that sound correct (I may have been sent wrong replacements....they appear to be same length as rear set and too wide for front forks and I cannot see how they would fit!). Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Its 495mm (19.5") for a T160 .Check it up on classicbike.biz It will be in the repair manual.
It sounds like you have the wrong springs.Also make sure you don't get T140 springs.They will fit,but have less spring rate.There's enough detail in the manual to be able to tell the difference (wire diameter,effective number of coils,free length).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts