Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps,

I need your help.

I have stripped down my rocker boxes to clean and overhaul them.

Now putting them back together.

When the spindle is in place, the 1/2" to 3/8" shoulder pushes the 3/8" thrust washer at the oil feed end against the spring washer, which means that the left hand rocker has too much sideways play on the spindle.

It works if I fit a 1/2" thrust washer, but I am concerned that if I remove the spindle in the future to change the oil seal, the washer will drop slightly and make it impossible to re-locate the spindle.

Am I doing something stupid???

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm pretty sure those thrust washers should be outside of the springs. They are there to protect the soft Aluminium rocker boxes from excessive wear. not the hard steel rockers.

Alan.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
To get this right,you need to replace the 3/8" thrust washers with 1/2" washers.The parts manual is right,and it shows all washers as 1/2" I.D.
They were assembled wrong at Meriden,and the repair manual shows the same wrong assembly.Only pre-'70 rockers should use the 3'8" thrust washer,with the thackeray against the rocker.

Lubrication will improve if you get 2 new 1/2" I.D. washers and fit the washers against the rockers.You may even get less wear on the valve-tips and adjusters.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys.

The diagram in my parts manual shows the thrust washers against to rockers, with the spring washers between the rocker box casing and the outer thrust washers.

Also according to my parts manual, there should be 3 x 70-1575 1/2" Thrust Washers and 1 x 70-1330 3/8" Thrust Washer fitted.

I'm also having difficulty in fitting the oil seals without damaging them. I have the tapered application tool, but not sure whether this should be just pressed against the end of the shaft as it is inserted, or if the entire shaft has to be passed through it to allow the taper to compress the O ring.

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.

The diagram in my parts manual shows the thrust washers against to rockers, with the spring washers between the rocker box casing and the outer thrust washers.

Also according to my parts manual, there should be 3 x 70-1575 1/2" Thrust Washers and 1 x 70-1330 3/8" Thrust Washer fitted.

I'm also having difficulty in fitting the oil seals without damaging them. I have the tapered application tool, but not sure whether this should be just pressed against the end of the shaft as it is inserted, or if the entire shaft has to be passed through it to allow the taper to compress the O ring.
Garioch43,

I went with the four 1/2" like Pete said. I fit them in so they are against the rockers. I did not have a problem with the o-rings inserting. I have an ever-so-slight taper on the outside of my cover that prepares the o-ring to compress when tapping in the spindle. I don't know if it came that way or if I forgot that I put that taper in way-back-when. Sorry I can't help with the tool as I have not needed to use one. You should be able to change the o-ring without the washer dropping if you don't push the spindle too far. O-rings should last you a while though. By the time you need to change them, you'll have probably had your covers off for some other reason anyhow (that's when I do the o-ring changes).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rocker shims

Harris must have employed the man at Meriden who assembled the rocker boxes,as all the Harris Bonnies were the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts