Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon / Morning / Evening to all.

Can i have your thoughts please.

I am nearing the end of a complete re-biuld of my 1978 T140V.

I have a pal who is telling me i should put an exterior oil filtre on the bike as the top hat filtre is not good enough.

My bike has covered 20,000 miles with a top hat filtre and is currently fine, but should i fit another type to protect the engine.

Your thoughts would be good and thank you for reading.

Have a safe weekend. Simon.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I've never bothered with an external filter, although I did get a later type 'sludge dam' strainer to go in the frame, it has a barrier at the bottom with blanks off the bottom 1/2" or so. I am particular about doing oil changes every 1500 though - as specified in the manual.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Daveforty,

Thank you, i take it this replaces the tophat filltre, are the fittings the same, so i just need to take out the tophat and replace with a later model Sludge Dam and 2 new gaskets, is thia correct.

Thanks Simon.

·
Registered
885 Posts
An external oil filter is the single best improvement that you can do to these bikes. It will increase your engines life by 4 times. Check out the excellent article in the GABMA site by RF Whatley.

I must certainly disagree with the previous gentlemen's post.

TD

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Tiger Dale.

I have just put a new standard 2 valve oil pump on the bike, will this cope with an external oil filtre.

Also what is GABMA, sorry new to this.

Thank you.
Regards Simon

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
The 'sludge dam' strainer is a direct swap, it was a modified part introduced approx 1980.

Oil and filters is a big subject to discuss, there are many opinions.

My experience (as an owner / amateur mechanic) is with my own bike which I got my T140 (sort of) new in Sept 1980 and over the next eleven years did 100k on it before 'retiring' it. When I did a re-build I had the bottom end looked at by a Triumph mechanic who reported that the crankshaft and camshaft was perfectly good, but he replaced the big end shells as a precautionary measure, likewise the main bearings. But I am particular about oil changes at 1500m. Only wish the top end was as robust.....

·
Registered
885 Posts
GABMA.us is a british bike club with some very knowlegable folks that also are a great resource for tech articles.

Dave,

Maybe later twins such as yours are different. As a matter of fact I just went back to the article in GABMA and it referenced bikes built before 1978.

I have a '72 tiger and I hope it will get 100K like yours.

I too change my oil every 1,500 with a top quality 20/50 blend. I change the filter every 2nd oil change.

TD

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hi Tiger Dale.

I have just put a new standard 2 valve oil pump on the bike, will this cope with an external oil filtre.

Also what is GABMA, sorry new to this.

Thank you.
Regards Simon
Simon,

My 72' tr-6 has the stock oil pump and it works just fine. You plumb the filter to the return side of the pump so the oil is being "pushed" into the filter then to the oil tank.

TD

·
Registered
348 Posts
well for about $20-$30 dollars you can make a setup and place where ever you wish. the best i could say would be, you like filtered water to drink? why not spend couple bucks and protect the engine you just rebuilt?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Tiger Dale,

Very helpful info, am i correct in saying i can place an oil filter in the pipe which returns the oil back in to the top of the frame (oif), if you have any ideas what make or model filtre's are around that would be cool also have you any pics regards to placement of a unit, i would think it could sit in front of the oil in frame tank or is that to far away from the pump.

Sorry to keeping asking of you, i just want to make sure any mod's are going to be correctly done.

All of the reply's i have recieved so far i thank you ALL.

Simon.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Simon,

Yes that is correct. From the oil return line to the IN spigot on the filter base and from the OUT to the top frame spigot.

I mounted mine with a 3.5" muffler clamp ( see GABMA article ) on the rear side of the down tube between the swing arm and rear tire. At this location you can just put a pan under it and spin it off with no mess going all over the engine.

My bike is in pieces right now so pix are not available. I actually tried to post some pix on another site of the set-up but it is so tucked away you can bearly see it.

On the GAMBA site there is a list of at least 10 replacement filters from various producers.

With this location ( and a filter in general ) I believe a side benefit is a cooling effect on the oil. Though I have no scientific data to support that.

Sorry for the lousy pic but as you can see it tucks in nicely.

As I put my bike back together I'll try to get some other pix if you like.

I intend to have the bike back on the road by the end of March so if this timetable works for you I'll be glad to take some more descriptive pix.

TD

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Tiger Dale.

Thats fantastic, that's just the job, if you could send other pic's when you can of the bracket that would be cool.

I would like to thank;Stewdog (Owesome bike), Daveforty, Tiger Dale and Woody1911a1 for all the input to this thread and if anyone else has ideas please let me know.

Speak soon Tiger Dale and once again a big thanks to you all.

OH TIGER DALE, do you leave the tophat filter in or remove it alltogether.

Simon.

·
Registered
885 Posts
OK Simon here you go

And it mounts below the swingarm

And it keeps the oil in this bike clean

Sorry the bike is dirty, I just started my winter tear down/clean up.

Rescued this bike after 35 years in a barn in southern Maryland. It had only 1,670 original miles but I put a little over 7,000 miles on last year.

This ain't no trailer queen. Don't hide 'em RIDE 'em.

TD

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Tiger Dale and Johntog,

Tiger Dale,

i thank you for all the photo's and the trouble you have gone to, they have really put my mind at rest about the fitting of the filter, i will be ordering one first job Monday.

Johntog, i thank you for the web address ref: supply in the UK, i have been on the site and will be ordering this kit Monday first job, although it does state on the site "out of stock" but i will call them and see.

I joined this forum last week and it's the best thing i have done in a long time, "in terms of the bike", i have had nothing but help and no silly remarks which is a nice refreshing change, i just wish i had joined when i started the de-biuld and re-biuld, it would have helped.

Thank you Simon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Tiger Dale and Johntog,

Tiger Dale,

i thank you for all the photo's and the trouble you have gone to, they have really put my mind at rest about the fitting of the filter, i will be ordering one first job Monday.

Johntog, i thank you for the web address ref: supply in the UK, i have been on the site and will be ordering this kit Monday first job, although it does state on the site "out of stock" but i will call them and see.

I joined this forum last week and it's the best thing i have done in a long time, "in terms of the bike", i have had nothing but help and no silly remarks which is a nice refreshing change, i just wish i had joined when i started the de-biuld and re-biuld, it would have helped.

Thank you Simon.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Well, I have seen most things but that oil filter at the rear spindle just about beats them all?????? Can the builder seriously expect that POOR LITTLE pump to cope with all that pipe work, filter and then get it back to the tank............. Let alone when they fall off, reminiscant of the Joe Hunt magneto.

Simon, get a Norton filter top and canister from Wilemans and mount it on the oil in frame tube, close to the return steel pipe. OR see if they have the 'Charlies' type base plate still in stock, I know they have the elements.
Roy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts