Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,back again,i havent gotten the sparx problem worked out yet,because ive run into another problem,a little history first,motor has new top end,ie cyclinders have been honed(still in spec),new std size pistons and rings installed(76mm)as called for on this model,grundeon pins and circ clips new,only thing done on the head was relapped valves/seats,and cleaned,compression 170 psi and 165 psi,after first attempt to start bike when wiring and new sparx unit was installed,it back fired once or twice thur carb and exhaust(i dont know if this has anything to do with this),at this point it got harder to kick bike over,its takes all that i have to kick it over,im 200 pounds.i removed the spark plugs and it takes just as much effort to kick it over as if the plugs where still installed,if i pull the clutch in. kicker kicks over/free wheels easly,once the clutch is let out,and there is pressure back on the clutch basket,its back to as before real tough to kick over,is it possible that the plates are binding somehow,(new clutch plates where installed,steel plates cleaned and flat) putting to much pressure on the basket,inturn making it harder to kick over,at first i thought that there might of been to much(which there was) and to heavy oil in gear box(winter here)i fixed that,still have the same problem,anyone have any ideas???my next step is probably to take the head back off and take a look at the cylinder walls to see if somthing came loose on the pistons,ie circ clip,broken ring,but i cant see that being the problem,bike has not been run yet and its been kicked over plenty of times before this,hopefully someone has a suggestion???

·
Registered
165 Posts
before yanking the head off, i would look towards the valve train.
perhaps you might have had a mis-adjusted pushrod that jumped out of it's seat getting bent/jammed. if anything is not apparent, i would remove rocker boxes first, pull out pushrods then try to kick over.
did you also put in new valve guides? if so they might be too tight,
jamming valve train. not sure on your model, in regards to piston interferance, but if timing is way outta wack, (like 180) maybe your pistons struck the open valves bending something. good luck. tell us how you make out.

·
Registered
348 Posts
you said the engine turns over fine when you push/pull the back tire in gear?

back fire thru carb then exh. i would say normal if trying to start up in 20 degree weather.( my doesn't like the 10's or 20's too much )
you can't put these engines out 180 because they fire on int and ext stroke.but if some messed with cam gears then.

if engine is hard both with tire and kicking is could be many things.
primary chain rubbing against stator( if not set in right) bent valve train, engine bearings heated to hot and now froze up, etc.

did you build motor?

how long did this engine sit before trying to start?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
before yanking the head off, i would look towards the valve train.
perhaps you might have had a mis-adjusted pushrod that jumped out of it's seat getting bent/jammed. if anything is not apparent, i would remove rocker boxes first, pull out pushrods then try to kick over.
did you also put in new valve guides? if so they might be too tight,
jamming valve train. not sure on your model, in regards to piston interferance, but if timing is way outta wack, (like 180) maybe your pistons struck the open valves bending something. good luck. tell us how you make out.
hi,i removed the exhaust side tappet cover,the exhaust side valves move up and down(open and close)so exhaust side valves seems fine,i didnt get to the intake side yet,came in for dinner,no i didnt put in new valve guides ,all i did was a lap job on all 4 seats,hopefully a keeper didnt fall out(intake side)as far as the timing being 180 out,i dont think that can happen on the old triumphs,ill keep you informed,thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you said the engine turns over fine when you push/pull the back tire in gear?

back fire thru carb then exh. i would say normal if trying to start up in 20 degree weather.( my doesn't like the 10's or 20's too much )
you can't put these engines out 180 because they fire on int and ext stroke.but if some messed with cam gears then.

if engine is hard both with tire and kicking is could be many things.
primary chain rubbing against stator( if not set in right) bent valve train, engine bearings heated to hot and now froze up, etc.

did you build motor?

how long did this engine sit before trying to start?
hi stewdog,im pretty sure no one messed with cam gears,when i got bike it was sitting in a shed for years,i took the motor apart to check specs and redo top end and replace seals,yes engine is hard to turn with both tire and kicker,i redid the hole top end,honed cyclinders,new pistons,new rings and lapped the valves,everything was clean and lightly oiled when i put it back together,ive kicked it over numerous times by hand and foot as i was reaassembling the motor and no problems,before i tried starting it for the first time last weekend,i did a compression check which was 170/165 psi,i think ill try looking at the intake side valves for operation(already checked exhaust side)opening and closing fine,if intake valves are opening/closing,then i dont have a wayward pushrod,then remove the primary and take out the new clutch plates and see if i can turn the clutch basket by hand,im thinking if i can move the clutch basket by hand(with no plates in)and it turns the crank and everthing moves in the top end,then ive narrowed my search to the clutch assembly or gear box,but still,if you have a thought though let me know,ive never run across this problem on other 650/750s ive done...........makes me want to jump on my bagger and drop a match on the triumph lol......

·
Registered
223 Posts
If it turned over no problem up until you tried to start it, and after it backfired suddenly it doesn't want to turn over, it does sound like something got bent or broken. Is it making any kind of new noise when you turn it over manually? I'm beginning to think you may have got her spinning backwards when she backfired and something got bent and is now binding.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1976 T140 Kick Starter Problem,hard To Kick

Ok,so Everyone Will Know,ive Found The Problem!!!!!ive Spun/seized The Left Side Connecting Rod Bearings On The Crank!!!i Cant Believe It, During Assembly Every Thing Was Fine!!!so It Can Happen Even If It Dont Get Running Fully!!!!,bottom End Overhaul....off To The Shop It Goes Lol,also Word To The Wise,dont Soak/fill Your Cases With The Crank Installed With Kerosene,sluge Trap ????

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
"Word To The Wise,dont Soak/fill Your Cases With The Crank Installed With Kerosene,sluge Trap ????"

you filled your case with kerosene ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Word To The Wise,dont Soak/fill Your Cases With The Crank Installed With Kerosene,sluge Trap ????"

you filled your case with kerosene ?
YEAH,i filled the crank case with kerosene to clean/flush everything out of the crank case,before redoing the top end,ooooops!!!never do that again lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts