Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can notice a very slight engine whine when I'm riding. It almost sounds like a much reduced version of the gear whine the cam gear train on my 97 VFR750 made. But this is very faint. Is this just the cam gear train I hear or is something possibly worn?
Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
970 Posts
tight primary chain? or gearbox layshaft needle bearing when under load?
I would also plump for the primary chain. The layshaft is not under load in top gear, you will hear it whine when you go to fourth :)

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I've been tied up lately and not able to get to the forum. I went for a ride Tues night and paid especially close attention for the whine. I need to check with another helmet, but it almost sounds like a faint whistle from my helmet. Hard to tell because it changes when I move my head. But that could be the the sound not transmitting the same when the helmet position changes or the helmet simply does not whistle unless in the right position. Will try one of my half helmet to see if I can hear any whine. Lots of wind noise with a shorty, however.

Sure sounds mechanical, but it is so faint it's really hard to be sure.
regards,
Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts