Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

What tyres are people running on T140's these days please? Are tt100 / Dunlop K81's still a good choice for handling in wet and dry. I do really like the classic look they have but maybe there are better tyre choices these days. My Bike has been off the road for 15 years plus !!

I seem to remember from back then that the English made TT100's handled well but the rear wore out quickly so I switched to Avon Roadrunners. Not going to be doing high miles now so that's not so much an issue.

rgds

Les

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
The TT100s are great tyres and light construction.Excellent wet of dry and, hard ridden,the rear will last 3000 miles before it starts following the white lines.Last year,i switched to Roadriders and after defects in both front and rear tyre were remedied by another replacement and cleaning the inside of the front due to sharp bits of rubber puncturing the tube,They are now in use and good.Neither will slide out at high speeds around corners.I take many narrow road bends at 70 mph.
Preference is the TT100 for me and i had many over the years.Swapped to Avon due to price rises.Either make will be excellent.Try Watling tyres or Vintage tyre supplies for a 2 tyre deal.If you go Dunlop,fit the tyre so the little round yellow circle on the side is next to the valve.The company has already partly done your balancing.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I posted a similar question a month or so back - on Rambos advise i went for the TT100s -best price then was from central wheel co -- or whatever their tyre section is called - they were on ebay - also got inner tubes from them at the same time-- did a tinternet search on DIY tyre soap - used hair conditioner - worked well - better than washing up liquid I thought

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tt100

Thanks guys useful advice. I do like a TT100.

In my research the Pirellis MT looked interesting as well.

What size tyres are you running out of interest.
I've gone for alloy flanged rims for a change 1.85x19 front and 2.15x18 rear.

rgds

Les

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
T140 is usually 4.10 on both ends.You might want a much better quick turn in by using a 3.60 front which is more responsive partly due to its lower weight.A front will last well over 10,000 miles.I took the last one off at 9,000 as it was ageing along with its inner tube.It was barely half worn.
The 4.10 front used back when it was built was,perhaps,to make it look bigger for styling as Japanese bikes were steadily getting wider tyres.
I used the 110 and 100 width with the Avons but feel a 90 width would have been better for the front.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Those rim sizes do seem narrow. Mine are 2.15 x 19 front, 2.50 x 18 rear (both Morad flanged aluminium rims). Tyres are 100/90 Roadriders front & rear. With your rim sizes, best to get expert advice on choice of tyre size. I see you're in Essex so you can't be all that far from Hagon which is one of, and very possibly THE best place for Brit bike wheels etc. Even if you don;t need their services, I'm sure they'd be happy to advise.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rim size

Thanks again.

I got my rims from Hagons, I know they are excellent so I just went with their advice re size. I believe what they have given me is standard fitment. As I understand it 1.85 is wm2 and 2.15 is wm3 ? But on reflection after the input here maybe I'd have liked slightly wider rims. Its done now so I just have to get tyres to fit.

If I can fit 4.10 on the front 1.85 I wonder if I can fit 4.25 on the 2.15 ? I'll check with the tyre shop of course.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Apparently the factory stopped using 4.25 on the rear as there had been clearance problems with the tyre contacting the mudguard when carrying a pillion -
(is there a British Standard "pillion" ? )

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks Wol

I did see that here
http://www.classic-british-motorcycles.com/1979-triumph-bonneville.html

Under the T140D Details section
"The front tire was now 4.10 X 19", but the rear tire, which started out at 4.25 X 18", had to be downsized to 4.10 X 18" when it found they scraped when carrying a passenger. The Special moved the rear brake caliper to the top."

My caliper is on top so maybe ok with 4.25 ?

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
4.25 might also contact the swinging arm and chain guard.No advantage whatever in fitting a 4.25 on the rear.Increase in unsprung weight being another problem.Always found the 4.10-3.60 arrangement best.Try that combination .12 stone rider with 32psi rear and 28 psi front is perfect.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Rambo, appreciate yours and everyone's advice, its a big help.

So you are saying 3.60 and 4.10 preferred, but 4.10 and 4.10 also feasible but slower/heavier (?) on the turn.

I think I was 12 stone once on the way up !!!

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
It looks as if there's quite a wide choice of tyre size to suit those rims, though those indicated in red are the most suited for each size rim. I'd agree with Rambo that there's nothing to be gained in using tyres wider than normal, even if they will go on and not foul chains, chainguards etc. I think T140Ds came with the fattest back tyre they could squeeze on purely because, at that time, it was fashionable.

https://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/common/pdf/wheels2011.pdf

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
I have standard WM3 and WM2 rims.It suits the bike very well with the 4.10 ,3.60 set up.You will not be dissapointed when you turn into corners.I might be heading for 13 stone this year.Mine is often carrying around 24 stone with pillion and still ok apart from the centrestand touching down on corners if the bike is braking.Tyres seem to accept the weight well.34-30 psi 2 up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's great,

I'll have a ring around for prices tomorrow although from a quick look tonight Devon Rim Co look reasonable.

The bike is a looong way from being done but I just want to get it up on the wheels so I can move it around.

thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
You rim sizes are just fine, I have the same flanged alloy WM2 front and WM3 rear.
Fit them with Avon Roadrider AM26's 100/90 front and 110/90 rear and she'll steer and handle like a race bike.
Turn in on mine is fantastic and the grip levels are very high.
So far I'm still on the first front and just started the third rear at 5550 miles, front is nearly half worn so I'm looking at a 3:1 front rear wear ratio.
I ride like Rambo (flat out wherever possible so that's why the rear suffers so much) :)

davy

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
you can always refit the old tyres if the bike is going to sit a while?

Better than paying for tyres that will flatspot and maybe need replacing.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Hi zak99 - as far as I am aware the moving of the caliper from underslung to over the top has no bearing on the change of width of the tyre -- I fitted a 4-10 rear to the T140D I am building (just in case !) - now its in place the only area where clearance could be a problem with a wider tyre is with the std chain guard - with the 4.10 I have about 1/4 inch -- a 4.25 may fit but as others have said there is no real advantage to the wider tyre

·
Registered
165 Posts
So far in past 4 yrs, I have had the Metzler Lasors, Avon Roadriders, and currently have TT100's. The TT is best suited to cornering fast on my T140e '82 model. So far..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again, very helpful. I have the way forward and I think refitting the old tyres for now is also a good plan for now. I nearly chucked em a few days ago.

I wonder what Santa might bring for the rebuild?

All the best to you all

rgds

Les

1 - 20 of 21 Posts