Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing a leaky gasket on the exhaust side rockerbox and apparently chipped the cup on the LH pushrod top but didn't realize it then. I ran a few miles and it seemed the tappet was getting loose so I adjusted it and ran a few more miles then it got loose again so I pulled the rockerbox and discovered my mistake. Could the chip have hurt anything else as it passed through? How do I get a replacement cup or pushrod? Thanks fellas!!

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
"I ran a few miles and it seemed the tappet was getting loose so I adjusted it and ran a few more miles then it got loose again"

Sounds as if the pushrod jumped off the ball.
Any marks on the rocker arm or housing?
May have damaged the ball.
I think the pushrod number is 71-3330 for 750`s.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Pookybear, I called them this morning and my parts are on the way. Summers are short here and I don't want to miss it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking I should put my magnet down the tube and fish for pieces, would this dislocate the cam followers or anything?

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
It would be easier to take out the pushrods and pull the tubes off.
Mark each one so they can go back to where they came off, L/R inlet & exhaust.
You`re gonna need a new seals anyway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just put in new pushrod seals and head gasket a few weeks ago and I am hoping to not have to pull the head off again. Is the magnet a bad Idea?

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
So, you must have taken the tubes off.
When fitting the white seals that go around the tappet block, under the tubes, you would have noticed any bits.
Also, when fitting the internal O-ring, you would notice any bits inside the tube.
If there were any loose bits, they`re probably in your sump now.
I found bits of broken collets. etc. when I flushed the oil system last time.:eek:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hi 380Viking,
a small magnet on a stick should work :) it should be about the diameter of a pencil, so it can get to the lowest point in tube.
The two drain holes in the tappet block are quite small and if they get restricted the cam and followers will wear :(
Only you can decide if you have been thorough enough!
Me I'd have a magnet glued on a stick ;) watch it don't come off.
You could also reduce your vacuum cleaner (petrol pipe and duct tape) you can use a clean handkerchief between the two pipes as a filter to help you identify any bits.
Happy fishing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts