Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as winter has rapidly set in time to work on brakes for me. both discs have taken on the some chrome no chrome look. plan is to replace master cyl with SS. use SS braid hose & DOT5 fluid.

can these discs be skimed??

·
Registered
601 Posts
as winter has rapidly set in time to work on brakes for me. both discs have taken on the some chrome no chrome look. plan is to replace master cyl with SS. use SS braid hose & DOT5 fluid.

can these discs be skimed??
Reg,

I would say yes. However, you will run into several problems.
First you have to find someone with the adaptors to chuck this
rotor into the lathe.
Second, you will, when turned, have broken throught the hardened
surface of the rotor, they will now wear out fast.
Third, the throw on your brake level will increase so it would have
to be adjusted out. I have a small screw on my, not a very good
setup at that.

So in the end, as much as a new disc cost, by new and forget
the problems.

Pookybear

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reg

So in the end, as much as a new disc cost, by new and forget
the problems.

Pookybear
cheers M8
that sounds a good call. checked out price $135 NZ seems not bad for unchromed. anyone know if difference in preformance between chrome & not chrome disc

Code Description EUR NZD Price Stock on Hand Qty Reqd
37-4275 DISC,BRAKE,TRIUMPH(NOT CHROME) 57.01 135.00

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
If it were me I would use the discs as shown. If you want them redone it is done on a surface grinder not a lathe. Also as a side note Triumph had a service bulletin out which said not to used DOT5 fluid in this system. The material used in the seals in DOT4/DOT5 systems is different

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it were me I would use the discs as shown.
thanks K
effect when braking causes front to gently nod up & down! maybe just my imagination but feels like finish on disc? must say have not bleed line & hoses showing their age.

if disc can stay as is all the better
maybe if rest of system is A1 disc will cope??
dont say forks

cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is lots of discussion on the net re. DOT5 brake fluid, a Google will bring them up. Here is a link to a Ducati forum with some info; http://www.ducatimonster.org/faq/faq_brake_fluid.html
cheers dave at present i using dot4 and it will strip paint but system it tight & not leak

this is answers i found

DOT5 brake fluid is also known as "silicone" brake fluid.

Advantages:

DOT5 doesn't eat paint.
DOT5 does not absorb water and may be useful where water absorption is a problem.
DOT5 is compatible with all rubber formulations. (See more on this under disadvantages, below.)
Disadvantages:

DOT5 does NOT mix with DOT3 or DOT4. Most reported problems with DOT5 are probably due to some degree of mixing with other fluid types. The best way to convert to DOT5 is to totally rebuild the hydraulic system.
Reports of DOT5 causing premature failure of rubber brake parts were more common with early DOT5 formulations. This is thought to be due to improper addition of swelling agents and has been fixed in recent formulations.
Since DOT5 does not absorb water, any moisture in the hydraulic system will "puddle" in one place. This can cause localized corrosion in the hydraulics.
Careful bleeding is required to get all of the air out of the system. Small bubbles can form in the fluid that will form large bubbles over time. It may be necessary to do a series of bleeds.
DOT5 is slightly compressible (giving a very slightly soft pedal), and has a lower boiling point than DOT4.
DOT5 is about twice as expensive as DOT4 fluid. It is also difficult to find, generally only available at selected auto parts stores

·
Registered
601 Posts
Reg,

Do the dot 5 after a complete rebuild with all the rubber seals
replaced in the system. Something happens to dot 5 when
mixed with both dot 3 and 4 that makes it eat rubber.

Pookybear

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I had mine cut in 1977. It made them flat (as opposed to warped) but there are swipes with no chorme that show rust until I drag the brakes for a while after each layup period.

All in all I still like them better than the poorly finished dull industrial replacements that they sell now.

I like that someone else had show chrome. It was really pretty nice so hold on to them.

And the old ones look authentic and have character and interest when the pads drag from smooth chrome to bare steel.
Pulse, pulse.

I'm guessing that you might have difficulty finding someone to touch them now though. Brake disks of today are part of the throw away generation, especially with all the lawyers looking for work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts