Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I acquired my T140D, sometime in its life it has been fitted with exhaust stubs to accommodate a standard T140 2-2 exhaust system. As I have found a NOS 2-1 exhaust as found on the D model, the stubs have to obviously be removed to accommodate the screw in headers. Before I jump in to this job, I just wanted to check to see if anyone has tackled this removal project before. There are two holes in the stubs and obviously a suitable diameter bar will apply the leverage. I obviously do not know how tight they are in the head yet, but I am thinking dry ice layed in the stub for a while, then heat to the exhaust area. I don’t see how penetrating oil or such like is going to help without removing the head from the bike? This is a last resort for me as I believe it’s fairly low mileage since a rebuild. Any additional pointers/useful suggestions gratefully received!:wink2:

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
This needs to be moved to the appropriate thread

Are you sure that the head is the original?
You should be able to remove the stubs but check in case some genius has welded them or something "creative"
If you aren't too fussy you could probably expand the pipes and use standard roses

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I would cetainly try some penetrating oil if the stubs do not want to move

you could get better leverage by making a simple tool -- find a 1/2 inch drive socket that is a close fit into the stub - mark the postions of the holes in the stubs onto the side of the socket - drill a suitable size hole through socket - then place the socket into the stub and push a bar through the stub holes and through the socket -- then a breaker bar will give plenty of leverage

sometimes the stubs come out easily - but sometimes are tight - if they are very tight - penetrating oil and small tighten then loosen actions repeatedly can work

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apologies if I posted in the wrong section!

Thanks Wol! I was thinking how could I utilize the holes better than a straight bar. Great idea for maximum torque!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts