Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but just wanted to inform of a modification I did to my 1979 T140D. This might have been done by others, but here's what I did.

The nuts in the middle of the plastic airbox covers had previously been tightened so hard that the covers were warped, and did not seal properly around the perimeter. With a hot air gun I managed to restore their original shape (at least they looked right), but still it was not easy to get a good seal. This bike has outer styling covers as well, but they don't help with the sealing.

So I made a modification to the fixing method of the covers. The photos show the small brackets I made as anchor points for two 5mm countersunk bolts through the rear edge of each plastic cover. To obtain a good seal against the carb intake rubber hoses as well, I used two lengths cut from 1/2" nylon zip tie and two 5mm bolts each side to pull the front of the two covers towards each other. The strips are barely noticeable when the styling covers are in place, and the rear bolts are completely covered.

The bolt/nut in the middle of the cover does not have to be tightened very much now. Only enough to partly compress the spring under the nut and hold the side of the covers against the filter elements.

Hopefully this solution will work out well in the long run. Photos show the left side.
20200324_181710.jpg
20200326_183922.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Very nice. That removes the worry. I boiled my covers in a huge pot of water. Then I flattened them. They recovered nicely. I assumed that the engine vacuum would pull them in but your solution removes doubt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I just noticed a typo in my first post. The bolts are 5mm. I have corrected that.
Regards,
Helge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
Hi HWal, Nice job! Thanks for the tip!

This warping is common even without over tightening nuts. Your cure will last good.

I secured mine also. I found I still had small leaks. Cut some door jamb insulating self stick foam into very thin strip & stuck it inside groove in cover. Has lasted good so far. 2years.

No air leaks means cleaner air, longer carb slide & motor life.
Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Don, good advice.
I already have this material in the house, so it will be easy to make up some foam strip and obtain an even better seal.
Helge.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,688 Posts
Never done it but a trick with old metal windows and silicone was to apply washing up liquid (dish soap) to one half and silicone to the other. Fit and wait. The soap acts as a release agent
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top