Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel pretty stupid that I haven't been able to track this one down.

82 T140ES.
Idling in gear, you can feel small attempts to intermittently move forward. Bring the RPM up a little and it's more noticeable. It's spotty, not consistent at all other than it always does it, hot or cold.
I pulled the plates, expecting them to be glued together... but they weren't. I cleaned them anyway and they look OK. The wear marks in the clutch basket where the plate tangs ride are not bad enough to where the plate could hang up, not bad at all in fact, just a visible mark with no depth to it. The clutch cable was a little frayed inside the gearbox cover, so now it has a new cable. Still does it. Pushrod length was checked, there's no 'lift' or wobble to the clutch basket when it spins and engages/disengages. Pressure plate lifts evenly.

So, uh....

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Did you start the engine and have it running,while you checked the pressure-plate for runout? Was the plate within 0.015" runout EVERY time you disengaged the clutch?

Do you have 1/2 turn pushrod clearance on the pressure-plate adjustment?Was the clutch cable adjustment correct,when you checked plate runout?

The usual causes are pressure-plate runout or over-tightened springs (becoming coil bound).Bent clutch plates could cause it,but I'm yet to see one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts