Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Hi Jack, A wise choice. They should have no problems.

You might want to get some spoke weights. Or ask if they have the original type. Kind of streamlined. A perfect compliment to K70 tires. I balance mine on my wheel truing stand. It has center points that fit front axle or into rear wheel bearings.
Get 5 or 6 of each size.
Modern stick on weights just don’t look right to me.
Don

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi Jack, A wise choice. They should have no problems.

You might want to get some spoke weights. Or ask if they have the original type. Kind of streamlined. A perfect compliment to K70 tires. I balance mine on my wheel truing stand. It has center points that fit front axle or into rear wheel bearings.
Get 5 or 6 of each size.
Modern stick on weights just don’t look right to me.
Don
I agree about the weights. I didn’t know to ask but I am guessing they will have them there , the owner most definitely knows his stuff.
Cheers

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Hi Jack, I wouldn't count on anything... If you care about the weights, ask or get some. Cut down weights is a custom thing. I don't know they'd do that?? It's worth the extra $$ if they would. You can stagger normal ones to get similar effect. That's kind of time consuming. Static balance is fine for these skinny tires. Fat tires need spin (dynamic) balance.

I feel it's worth splitting hairs on balance. I do it until tire is stationary in any position. With a little practice very easy to get that. You can search youtube vids on Motorcycle tire static balancing.

Here's a few more photos on tire changing that might help somebody. Might bring some previous thoughts together. I couldn't find ones installing tire. I may not have taken any.

Here's a youtube on tire removal, without rim locks. No doubt that would scratch rim! Use rim protectors!! Leap frogging irons makes it easier.

(151) How To Change a Motorcycle Tire By Yourself - YouTube
Don

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi Jack, I wouldn't count on anything... If you care about the weights, ask or get some. Cut down weights is a custom thing. I don't know they'd do that?? It's worth the extra $$ if they would. You can stagger normal ones to get similar effect. That's kind of time consuming. Static balance is fine for these skinny tires. Fat tires need spin (dynamic) balance.

I feel it's worth splitting hairs on balance. I do it until tire is stationary in any position. With a little practice very easy to get that. You can search youtube vids on Motorcycle tire static balancing.

Here's a few more photos on tire changing that might help somebody. Might bring some previous thoughts together. I couldn't find ones installing tire. I may not have taken any.

Here's a youtube on tire removal, without rim locks. No doubt that would scratch rim! Use rim protectors!! Leap frogging irons makes it easier.

Don
I’ll keep you posted on the outcome. They are being mounted today . I have a good feeling with these guys hopefully my gut feeling is dialed in 🤞🏼
Cheers

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Tiger XCA
14 Posts
Am I the only one thinking rim locks were originally used to keep the tire in place when you ran it at a lower pressure to use on the dirt? Unpaved roads are still common where I live and were much more common 50 years ago. See above where TR7RVMan notes that dirt bikes still use them. I just took delivery of a 2019 Tiger 800 XCA, now I am interested as to whether it has rim locks. But the weather here in Michigan is going to keep me out of the unheated garage until tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
8,264 Posts
Hi Josh,
Am I the only one thinking rim locks were originally used to keep the tire in place when you ran it at a lower pressure to use on the dirt?
The other reason for rimlocks on the rear wheel is so the rider can deliberately reduce tyre pressure for riding riding on soft ground - low pressure without rimlocks, then some engines could move the rim on the tyre, potentially pulling the valve out of the tube.
;)

just took delivery of a 2019 Tiger 800 XCA, now I am interested as to whether it has rim locks.
Might not need them, the "WM" rim cross-sections the old British motorcycle industry used haven't been made new for decades.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
2017 Street Twin
197 Posts
Older trials bikes used to use them, prevents tyres spinning on rim when running lower pressures i believe.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Don
Waited for my tires to be mounted at the shop that I located in Pennsylvania great dealership they are still working on older bikes the people there know what they’re talking about. They have been doing it since 1963. They did use the correct weights on the spokes to balance the wheels good people . Time to put the wheels on the frame and get them engine mounted.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hi
I use plumbers solder wrapped on the spokes for a traditional 1960’s look to wheel balancing.
(No rim locks)
A pice of rubber/wood to protect the back rim and the tyre bead on the front jaw of a large vice will shift the rubber in a tough bead break situation.
Regards
Peg.

Reactions: rambo

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Lead solder is a common balance weight. Wrap a bit of insulating tape around it for that authentic, did it meself look. I still change my own tyres on bikes. It is getting to be a strain as i get older but i have some boys who can help if i instruct. Using 5 tyre levers makes it fairly easy. I use a carpenters G clamp to break the beads. Old tricks. Modern tubeless is best left for someone with a machine. Last time i fitted a tyre on a 1981 Honda with a 16 inch rim, it was a dog to do. Never again with just tyre levers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They do you have the nut on them I’m not sure how they keep the tire on . I guess the builders back then feel like the rear is more important than the front because they’re not on the front wheel
I’m looking for some information on the rear wheel of my 76 Bonnie . There are two studs in the Rim that are threaded I have no idea why they are there and what the purpose is for them . I i’m getting ready to swap the tires I haven’t remove them from the rims yet just wondering why those threaded studs are there.
Cheers
Those are Rim Locks. They should have a pad inside the wheel. Rim Locks are especially important to prevent tire spin with tubed tires. If you get tire spin, the tube gets yanks out of the rim hole and you need a new tube. They have lock nuts on the rim to prevent the rim locks from getting pulled out.

All dirt bikes have rim locks for this reason.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I’m looking for some information on the rear wheel of my 76 Bonnie . There are two studs in the Rim that are threaded I have no idea why they are there and what the purpose is for them . I i’m getting ready to swap the tires I haven’t remove them from the rims yet just wondering why those threaded studs are there.
Cheers
I took mine off. Always, I check my air pressure before I go for a ride. I really don't think that our bikes are going to produce enough power for the rear tire to slip on the rim.

·
Super Moderator
8,264 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Hi 76Barnfind, Outstanding!! Thank God there are a few real shops around. Not many left.

What is name of this shop? The owners in your area should know where they can get the whole job done.

So good you're able to move on with project.
Don

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Regarding modern bikes, I think most of them have "safety bead" type rims. Should you have blowout the tire bead generally will not leave rim. You see this on cars all the time. A blow out & tire disintegrates quickly, leaving a ring of rubber & the bead still seated tight.

Safety rims have a raised edge on flat of rim. So bead is contained by this raised area so it can't slide into drop center when tire is flat. The tire bead must go into drop center to come over top of rim outer edge. You can feel & usually hear a pop when inflating tire after mounting, as the bead pops over the safety raised area.

Harley started this early on in 60s. In later 60s & by early 70s even Sportsters had safety rims so no more screws to lock bead.

If you don't want to deal with rim locks, leave them off. If things go bad with a flat, you'll ride it out or not. End of day they are no big deal to work with changing tires. You just have to know how to deal with them. It is no fight once you understand how to deal with them.
Don

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi 76Barnfind, Outstanding!! Thank God there are a few real shops around. Not many left.

What is name of this shop? The owners in your area should know where they can get the whole job done.

So good you're able to move on with project.
Don
Hi Don the name of the shop is Hermy’s in Port Clinton , Pa about one hour north of Harrisburg Pennsylvania. They started in business in 1963 , they are a BMW and triumph dealer real nice facility . They have separate show rooms for BMW and for triumph and separate areas for apparel. They are a family owned and operated business, definitely worth the two hour trip from Baltimore. I would definitely recommend them to anybody in the area. Nice people and Hermy knows as much as anybody can know about Triumphs .
Cheers

21 - 36 of 36 Posts