Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just Got A T140 1976 With A Drum Rear Brake Which Is Not Working Took It Apart The Drum Is Not Scored And It Has New Linnings Should The Leading Edge Of The Linnings Be Chamfered? Mine Are Not Seemed To Have Read Somewhere That They Should As It Acts As A Servo And Increases Brake Effort Am I Right?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hi bikerisme and welcome to TR ,:)
They don't need to be chamfered,
I always file the edge off though, its supposed to stop them squealing, not make them work better.
The shoes have a leading and trailing edge so they must be put in correctly.
Looking from the shoe side of brake plate in a clockwise direction,
the long bit of the shoe is come across first on both shoes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks For That Pewsey Will Check It, Maybe The Shoes Are Round The Wrong Way Been I While Since I Worked On Drum Brakes Thought It Should Work Better Than It Does Many Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi kudutz,i thought they fitted a disc in that year but i think its a bitsa bike the engine no is t140es and its not electric start the frame no is tr7 so not sure whats happening with it but not to worried it all lines up with v5 and i want to use it, just got to fix rear brake thought it could have started out as a USA EXPORT then had a different engine put in over time how knows? may get nos checked out one day

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
If the drum is on the T/S and the sprocket is on the D/S and the hub is a split type like the disc brake units use I suspect it is from a TR65/TR65T or possibly from a TR7T as you parts appear to be late model. I assume you are not in the US.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
t140 rear brake

hi,rear brake and sprocket on the same side,lever is on the timming side and a cable runs from that across the frame to the brake i have not seen another one like it fitted to a t140 maybe its an early 76 or late75 dont really know maybe i have a one off and its worth a fortune?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I think you're zeroing in on your brake problem. That is definitely not a standard set up. Some one has been doing some re-engineering. It sounds like they installed an earlier drum brake that would have the brake pedal on the left side of the bike and tried to make it work with the cable so the brake pedal could stay on the right. You must be loosing some mechanical advantage in the cable set up. Post a few pictures if you can.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
t140 rear brake

hi,jimmy bush will take some pics and try and post them,im not the best with computers almost certain its an import from America built in 1976 registered in uk 1996 thought it might be something for the US market not really clued up on triumphs the back wheel is a non qd type

1 - 9 of 9 Posts