Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
----- successful! Thanks to all who have previously described their experiences on this site.

Given that I am undertaking a complete re-build it was the easiest option to remove the rear wheel, remove the caliper from it's mounting bracket and leave it to swing on the torque stay with the bleed nipple in the uppermost position and a wooden wedge between the new pads. Using clear plastic tubing for the bleeding operation it was necessary to watch very closely as the small streams of bubbles being emitted were very hard to see. Tapped the caliper with a small soft mallet to help dislodge air within. Good solid pedal but, to achieve this put at least 500ml of fluid through the system to get that peddle.

·
Premium Member
9,564 Posts
You shouldn't need to remove it from it's mounting plate, just drop it down.

If you do this in future, you can pull the spindle a few inches out, placing a 4" or so block under the rear wheel to stop the wheel from twisting over. This means that everything stays more or less aligned.

I have an 'EZbleed"? that's a small bottle with non return valve to allow one man bleeding. I've wondered about pushing the fluid UP as well.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear Brake

You shouldn't need to remove it from it's mounting plate, just drop it down.

If you do this in future, you can pull the spindle a few inches out, placing a 4" or so block under the rear wheel to stop the wheel from twisting over. This means that everything stays more or less aligned.

I have an 'EZbleed"? that's a small bottle with non return valve to allow one man bleeding. I've wondered about pushing the fluid UP as well.
Yep, just removed the rear bolt, loosened the front one and let it swing on the torque stay (still attached to the mounting plate) got out of order above.

Having read what a hassle the job can be, was pleased it worked out well. Now for the front unit!

·
Premium Member
9,564 Posts
no it isn't.

My E has an underslung caliper but I used the torque bar as a diverter to stop it running too near the disc. You may be able to do the same if your caliper is on top

1 - 6 of 6 Posts