Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 78 T140E has been sitting for over ten years. For some reason I’m home more now than before, (state/virus no travel orders), so I’ve decided to get it running. Upon kicking it to start it today, the kickstarter process is rather lame. It feels like there is less compression than before. It does not have the same strong feel as it once had when it had lots of compression. A couple of years ago I replaced the clutch with a seven disc set-up. What could be causing this?

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Hi Wrench-head, Have you oiled the cylinders since storage?

Keeping in mind cams, bushings don't get much oil unless motor is running, try to avoid needless kicking. Obviously you'll still need to kick it more though.

If you haven't oiled cyl sounds likely you have dry rings. Remove plugs. Put 2 teaspoons motor oil down each plug hole. Kick motor 2 times (plugs still out). Let bike set a few hours. Kick motor about 10 times briskly to clear out excess oil. Plugs still out. Reinstall plugs. Note oil will enter exhaust & smoke bad for 10-20 minutes. Don't worry about that.

Do not attempt to start without oiling rings first. Compression will be low & rings & pistons need oil after 10 years.

Valve seats may have some rust, but don't worry about that yet.

Make sure battery is fully charged. Test voltage, no lower than 12.6v. After 10 years battery is probably junk. MotoBatt MB9U is good choice for replacement.

I expect you did this, but drain tank & fill with fresh gas.

Carbs may be gummed up. Likely, but you never know. Use full enricher on starting attempts or whatever you used to do. Remove bowl drains & see what you see with flashlight & mirror. Flush fresh gas out bowl drain. Note exact position of mixture screws. Remove & flush with carb cleaner & compressed air (if you have compressor). Flush bowls with gas more. That might... get you started. Often after 10 years the passages are clogged with crust from old fuel & you'll need to remove & properly clean.

You may have light rust in bores, or rust ring where pistons were. Don't worry about that yet. Get it running first. Often the rust will soon wear away. Change oil after 20 miles or so of road testing.

You could remove valve covers & squirt oil on rockers best you can. That dribbles oil on cam to a degree.

If carbs are clean & battery charged, oil on rings, expect a quick start up. Often first or second kick.

After start up, make sure oil light goes off. Check for oil return. After sitting it may take a good 1-1.5 minutes or even longer to see return, so don't jump to conclusion oil return is not working if you don't see it right away.

Let us know how it goes. Good you are getting it back on road! The first start is so exciting. Wish I could be there.

Be careful of 10 year old tires. They may have very bad traction or fail.
Don

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the procedure. I’ve added the oil into the cylinders this morning and will let you know my progress.
Tires and battery are new along with fresh oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts