Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

T140 high pipes

12K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Lutz 
#1 ·
I have been only involved it the Triple forum so far.
Does anyone know where I could get high pipes ( both
on one side or separate ) to fit this 1979 oif 750cc
with push in stubs :???:

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey TrackerOldGuy,
If you have or can get spigots in the heads you may be able to use high pipes from a 650 cc they are availble in both styles.You may have to `custom make brackets .The T140 engine is shorter than the 650 engines by approx. 1/2 " but I think that can be overcome.
Lutz

#7 ·
Folks, I may have misstated. My current pipes slide over the
spigots and are then clamped to them. The spigots
are treaded into the heads. Do you have a suggestion
of a supplier I could talk to about pipes for this?
I am not a member of Rot LE. Do they have a web site?

#9 ·
Rot Le web site is www.lostempire.com
if you get a hold of andy (also known as Captn Quack)
ask him if he ever got the picture of suzy screamcheese he wanted.
gpz are you Rotle?

Roy do you think a set of pipes from the from the 80's what was the model ? maybe a T65T trophy work? I dont rember the specs

#12 ·
I agree on the 60's. Bad time for me too. Spent them trying to kill myself. Almost made too. Guess it was only good for the hippies, if you liked living hard and hitch hiking. Hey Tracker, Moore's sells some stub adapters that change push ins to push ons. I don't know what they cost, but can't be to steep. I don't believe they add any lenght either. Have a good weekend. Frank

#13 ·
No Kadutz, the TR7T and the TR65T had low level siamese pipes but with a high silencer. The ones Tracker wants are from a 1972 TR6C, twin high level pipes on the left hand side, either use open with extensions or fit silencers. The short silencers used on the 1968TR6C would look real cool on that sled :wink:
Roy.

#16 ·
There was a set of high pipes that were factory from the 60's for a 650 from a one year model called the "East Coast Special" these were the slide over type, and ran down both sides of the machine. Long open pipes, and seemingly hard to find. I have yet to find replicas anywhere, and with the limited production and import of that one model (east coast only,a nd only a few hundred brought in) makes these hard to find vintage as well.

The pipes look very similar to the BSA 650 Hornet pipes. Long sexy straight high pipes. I am planning to use the hornet pipes on my 750 5 speed machine.

#17 ·
The 1964 T120C had one long unmuffled pipe on each side.

The 1965 T120C had one muffled pipe each side.

The 1967-68 TR6C had two pipes on the left side with small
staggered mufflers.

The 1969-71 TR6C had two pipes on the left side with large, matching stacked mufflers.

Check the following web site for pics.

Triumph Pics

Also found the following on eBay, auction ends tomorrow:

Triumph Exhaust Pipes(Pair) TR6C 1969-71 "New" WASSELL

G
#18 ·
Hello,

Since RotLE came up, I thought I'd join in. To solve your pipe problems, just get in touch with RotLE member Walt Metzler in High Springs. Walt will take your head off (nothing personal) and remove the threads for the exhaust pipes.

Then he will machine a spigot for each, .002" less than the new holes. After the head is heated and the spigots placed in a freezer, they are mated. After that, they will never get loose. You have the added advantage of using any of the pipes available for the pre-oif bikes, a very wide range indeed. If you want top end performance, use 1.75" headers, for more mid-range, try 1.5'. The stock 1.25 are too small for efficient flow.

Walt can also flow your head and install larger carbs, either Amal or Mikuni. After 2 years of screwing with new Amals, I am in the process of switching to Mikuni on my '79 T140, which is very similar to yours. I expect to get nearly 60 HP on the dyno after that. Maybe even a few more.

If you are a RotLE member, you will get a discount on this work, and also from some 40 other dealers and parts folks, such as Don's Triumph Garage, Baxter Cycle, Palm Beach Triumph, Flamingo Cycle and many more. We also sell direct for Skykingproducts.com, Vanson Leathers, European Spares and others, all at big member discounts.

While RotLE is in the information biz, we don't have a forum, yet. We encourage owners to ride their bikes and provide venues for them to do that. July, 2005, we rode from Canada to Key West. July, 2006, we will have a rallye along the Blue Ridge Parkway. May, 2007, we are touring Ireland. Come along.

You can contact Walt at 386 454 4353, but not today. He is in Maine, doing a job for FPL. :cool:

#19 ·
Speaking of Wassell, I have found their remnant on a website in England. It was pretty hard to find. They could use some web-search optimization!

www.totalbikebits.com

They don't have a comprehensive product list on the site. It seems to be intended for British dealers rather than end-users.

I can't really tell whether Wassell is still making exhaust spares. Anyone else have any info on Wassell?

[ This message was edited by: triumphgeezer on 2006-04-25 04:03 ]

#21 ·
Hey Doc Hollywood,
I have done a search of all of my bulletins and parts books and can find no model called "East Coast Special ". I think you must be thinking of th T120 TT Special and the TR6C from 1964 which was the first year for the TT Special .
These TT Specials had high pipes on both sides and did not go all the way back and had extention pipes to take them to 0the rear.Part #s of the extentions are 70-4183 & 70-4184.

Lutz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.