Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Been doing lots of reading here, not much posting.

Have finally got my 1979 Bonny running and on the road. New ignition and wiring harness and we in business. Now for the the leaks.

Have been slowly trying to isolate engine leaks and repair one by one. Current biggest leak seems to be from base of rocker boxes. Have re-torqued everything and found one bolt (rear of left side exhaust valve) seems to be stripped.:mad:

Am hoping I can take off rocker boxes and fit new gaskets to stop leak. Have a factory manual but am wondering what am I getting myself in for here and are there any "tricks of the trade" I need to know.

Also seems to be leaking from front of oil pressure switch?:confused:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated or info. on books, dvds that may cover engine building for novices.

Thanks,

BEN.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Check the ends of the rocker spindles, I usually find they leak (particularly the exhaust one) and the oil runs off and looks like its coming from the gasket. You'll have to take the rocker box off the head to fix it. The oil seal is a rubber O ring around the spindle. The rocker box should be warmed up to ease dismantling and re-assembly, put it in the oven when the wife isnt around, when it is hot enough that spit sizzles on the casting tap the spindle out a little, replace the O ring and tap the spindle back then leave it to cool slowly. You will need a guide tool to compress the O ring as you insert the spindle into the rocker box casting.

Oil pressure switch, replace the copper (or alloy) washer underneath the thing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave and Albert.

All good advice. I have replaced the rocker spindle o-rings and stopped that leak. Pretty sure the next culprit is the rocker box gaskets. Am hoping to find a good manual etc to explain in more detail.

BEN.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts