Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted the later TSX pipes to an earlier T140 with Amal Mk11's? If so, what changes to the jetting was required?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
dont know for sure - but i would think its a possibility that the TSX pipes could as restrictive as the std T140 pipes - so unless you have modified the air cleaner set up , the std jetting for MK2s could be OK

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Wol, the TSX pipes are 1 3/4" dia so quite a bit bigger, and the problem I seem to have is it is running very rich now and smoking quite heavily, before I had standard push in pipes with peashooters and it ran fine...:frown2:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Has anything else at all been changed, between "ran fine" and "rich and smoking?"

Bigger diameter pipes are usually a bad idea, but your problem is a bit of a drastic effect.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
as TT says -I would not expect just fitting big bore pipes to cause rich running and smoking -- can you tell us all the work you have done from when you had push in pipes up to now -- and was it running OK before ? - are you running the TSX pipe with the TSX silencers or just the pipes ?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi TT/Wol, everything was fine before I changed the pipes, I just wanted a different look from the normal T140's with peashooters. I thought as the TSX used these pipes there shouldn't be too much involved. I am using Goldie type silencers with the TSX pipes. Standard airbox and air filters.

It does seem strange that I am now getting this problem...perhaps a call to Burlens?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
check the starting jet plungers are working correctly and sealing well in the normal run position - they can give symptoms of rich running if the dont close off fully

as a matter of interest how do the TSX pipes fit to the head ? are they push in or was the head converted to push over ?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The head uses T140D roses so I just replaced them with some stubs, the TSX pipes fit over the stubs. Cold start plungers were only replaced last year.

I don't like coincidences but obviously something has happened and I can't see that just changing the pipes could cause all this trouble, I've got the carbs stripped now, I use the non epa jetting as this ran considerably better than the epa set up, I will put the old pipes back on just to see what is going on...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I have found the problem, I bought some new fuel a couple of weeks ago, I have just put this in my lawnmower, and it is now running like a bag of spanners as well, looks like I have some dodgy fuel...

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Have you tried running it on just the TSX pipes and no silencers ? - I would think if any part of the new system is at fault it would be the silencers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts