Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have just received yet another motorcycle project, I usually build Honda 350s because I am broke all the time but I have managed to get a 71 t120r in my hands. I have disassembled the engine and the cylinders and pistons are trashed!! I was looking on e-bay and found a set off of a pre unit 650 and I was wondering if anyone knew if these will interchange, I can't seem to find any info on parts interchange on this motor, help is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
12,859 Posts
Whether they will interchange is not the issue (they probably will).

Used pistons and cylinders on e-bay are "iffy" propositions unless the seller has been vouched for as selling proper stuff in good nick.

Have you had a machinist look at your cylinders and guage whether they can go .060 or .080 over? unless they are already at .060 or .080, it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is true, I wanted to look into getting my cylinders bored but 4 fins were already broken off when then I picked up the bike :confused: and I wanted to replace the cylinders so it doesn't look bad, and cools well. :D

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Did the pre unit cylinders have the oil passage for the exhaust tappet guide block? I didn't think that it was put in until about 1968. If not, will that present a problem with a 71 as far as covering the hole out of the crank case with the cylinder base gasket or with oiling the exhaust tappets?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Don't Save A Buck And Buy Used Junk Unless It Is Coming From Someone You Know. It Will Cost More In The Long Run. Buy A 750 Kit For Around $500 Or So.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts