Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I am new to the forum and new to Triumph bikes. I have purchased a 1967 t120. Just went through the bike. Stripped and cleaned carbs, new fork tubes, shocks and added a Pazon ignition. Replaced all fluids etc. Started it up for the first time and it is not running right. major discoloration of the new header pipes (bummer) especially on the right side. Double checked the timing (wiring and advance) and it is spot on per the Pazon instructions.

Looking for some advice from more experienced vintage enthusiasts on where to start with the trouble shooting. At this point I am thinking either major problem with the carbs although they did not show much wear when i did the rebuild, or the cam timing is off. The carbs are stock Amal monoblocks.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ken

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Hi Ken,

You say you've followed the Pazon guide to timing the engine so one assumes you have strobed the timing and it advances to 38degrees BTDC at the prescribed revs. I know the Pason instructions and they are clear and straightforward.

You see a lot of discolouration on Triumph engine pipes, but I would suggest that a really well tuned engine would not blue up the chromework. You do not elaborate on just what "not running right" is, and until you do it may be hard to assist you other than to guess at the cause of why the right cylinder id getting hotter than the left. The cause of the heat will no doubt also be the cause of it "not running right", and guessing is not good advice to you.

Assuming you have the timing right, and that may or may not be the case, you must have a look at carburation on the RH cylinder. Running a lean mixture is a common source of heat and you need to be certain that the float level is correctly set, along with the recommended needle size and setting.

I might add to Plewsy's good advice that a retarded spark will also excessively heat the engine pipes, but you say the timing is OK .....

Let us know more about the symptoms and some very good people here will jump at the opportunity to help you get it right.

As a precaution, I'd avoid running the engine too much until you get a handle on the cause of this excessive heat. OK? RR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts